46 - 1799

logo_1877
 

 Chronological Retrospect

From A.D. 46 to 1877

By William Finch-Crisp

49 AD - 1799

46AD

The Romans entered this part of Britain when the valleys of the Yare, Waveney, and. Bure, as well as the sandbank, upon which Yarmouth stands, were covered by the ocean.

100

Burgh Castle, a Roman encampment, supposed to have been founded.

495

Cerdic, a Saxon Prince, and Cenrick his son, with five ships, entered the port of Yarmouth and named it Cerdric Shore. This Cerdic Shore seems to have been a great sandbank formed along the shore between two branches or channels of the Yare called Havens, by which two channels the river entered the sea, one running near Caister and the other near Gorleston.

633

Between this and the year 640 a Saxon Monastery was founded by Fursey, an Irish monk, at Burgh.

870

Lodbrog, the Dane, driven by a sudden tempest from Denmark across the sea, and, entering the Yare, landed at Reedham, where the Court of Edmund, King of East Anglia, was then kept. Lodbrog is said to have been received into Court favour, but was soon afterwards murdered in a wood by the King's huntsman (Bern) through jealousy. This led to the imprisonment and execution of Edmund and put an end to the Saxon dynasty in East Anglia, after Hinguar and Hubba, two Danish chieftains, at the head of 20,000 men, had ravished all East Anglia

1008

First houses and habitations erected in Yarmouth on Fuller's Hill, that being then the only dry land in Yarmouth.

l041

Yarmouth belonged to the King in the reign of Edward the Confessor, and had seventy burgesses, besides a number of soccagers.

1045

Bishop Herbert born; and in 1091 was consecrated Bishop of Thetfod.

1066

Cocklewater or Grubb's Haven, stopped up with sand.

1100

St Bennet's Church, built in the time of Edward the Confessor, pulled down.

1101

Bishop Herbert de Lozinga, the first Bishop of Norwich (translated from the See of Thetford in the 7th year of William II. (Rufus) whose Chamberlain he was], founded St. Nicholas' Church, and re-built a Chapel on the North Denes. He was made Lord High Chancellor to Henry I of England in 1104, and. died august 11th, 1119.

1109

Yarmouth governed by a Provost, the first constituted magistrate, whose public office was in the Conge, North Quay. Foreigners allowed only to come to 'Yarmouth at the annual free-fair.

1119

St Nicholas Church consecrated Enlarged 1123, 1250, and 1388. The last attempt, after ten years' labour in trying to build a west aisle, failing, the ruins were used in the building of a Chapel-of-Ease.

1190

40,000 lives lost at sea during the war between King John and the Barons; a great multitude washed ashore on Yarmouth beach.

1204

Monastery of Back Friars founded by St Dominica.

1205

Yarmouth had three galleys or vessels of war. Two were manned with seven score mariners.

1209

First Charter granted by King John, and Yarmouth incorporated as a Borough. The document is still preserved (1877).

1216

All vessels in the port with Scottish property on board were arrested.

1257

Henry III granted certain franchises. In 1261 he granted licenses for fortifying the town; and on September 28th, 1262, granted a Charter for enclosing the town with a wall and moat, so as to resist the power of an invading enemy.

1261

The Tolhouse Hall, Midlegate Street, erected.

1272

Yarmouth first called. Magna (Great) in the reign of Edward I, to distinguish it from Little Yarmouth, or Southtown.

1278

St. Mary's Hospital founded. It was a free Grammar School in 1551, and fitted up as a school for poor children in 1634. The Carmelites, or Whitefriars, founded at Yarmouth, and took the north and some other parts of the town under their charge.

1285

King Henry's Tower erected at the north-east corner of St. Nicholas' churchyard.

1286

St Nicholas' Church and churchyard consecrated by Bishop Middleton of Norwich.

1287

The sea flowed into St. Nicholas' Church four feet deep, and the town was inundated.

1290

A beautiful ship built at Yarmouth for King Edward II., and sent to Norway for the King's daughter, upon her proposed marriage with the then Prince. She was heiress of Norway and Scotland.

1291

No one allowed to draw wine after the Curfew bell had rung.

1294

Yarmouth first summoned. to send four Burgesses annually to Parliament.

1295

Sir J. De Botetourt, a Norfolk Knight, had command of a Yarmouth fleet of fifty-three vessels. Fresh herrings sold for 37s. per last.

1297

Simon Baking, of Martham, fled into St. Nicholas' Church and confessed to having broken open a house at Hemsby and the prison at Southtown and to having killed W. K N. Blaking. The law in those days was, if a murderer could reach a church or churchyard before being apprehended, and confessed his crime to a coroner, justice, &c., he was set at liberty without taking a trial.

1299

Wm. Fastolf and H. Rose, Esqs., returned. to Parliament, held at Lincoln.

1305

Yarmouth claimed a free Borough by the Burgessee.

1307

William Fastolf and H. Rose, Esqs., again returned to Parliament, held at Nottingham.

Price of pipe (120 gals.) of "red wine," 20s.

1308 - 1472

During the reigns of Edward II and III., Richard II., Henry IV., V., and. VI., and Edward IV., upwards of 160 Burgesses were returned to Parliament, seventy-two of which were held at Westminster, six. at York, one at London, Ripon and New Sarum, and two at Gloucester.

1314

Two Parliaments held, but not represented. by the same Burgesses.

1330

A Castle stool on the site of the King Street Independent Chapel, but was demolished in 1621.

1332

Great disputes between the Barons and the Cinque Ports and the Bailiffs of this Borough, concerning the free fair which the former attempted to remove.

1333

Burgesses exempted from serving on Juries, Inquests, or Assizes, within the Borough.

1337

Blackfriars Tower completed.

Forty ships of war ordered to Yarmouth roads.

The Yarmouth navy, comprising twenty men-of-war, had orders to proceed to the port of Dort, in order to convoy the King's four plenipotentiaries to the Court of Hainault from those parts to England. On their return they took two Flemish ships laden with men, money, and. provisions for Scotland, with the Bishop of Glasgow on board, who died of his wounds at Sandwich.

1338

Thomas De Drayton, a Yarmouth man, and. who had fifteen times held the office of bailiff, appointed Admiral of the North Fleet.

Yarmouth fitted out a fleet of men-of-war, well equipped, to go against the enemy at sea for the space of a month, at their own cost and charge.

1340

John Perebrown, a burgess of Yarmouth, led the King's North Sea Fleet in the great battle of Sluys, and did great service; 230 ships and. 30,000 Frenchmen were lost.

1342

King Edward III embarked on board the Yarmouth squadron in his expedition to Brittany.

The principal inhabitants fined 1000 marks for committing trespasses, &c., on the sea coast.

1346

The first Haven cut.

1347

Yarmouth assisted Edward III at the siege o Calais with 43 vessels of war and. 1075 mariners.

1349

Jan, Plague carried off 7000 persons out of the then population of 10,000.

1352

Yarmouth gave to the College of Windsor a last of red herrings, to be delivered annually for ever, concerning which many disputes have since arisen.

1353

Passenger boat from Yarmouth to Norwich sunk near Cantley and. 88 persons drowned..

1365

Six Yarmouth vessels captured. and. burnt in the Bay of Brittany.

1368

John Lawers hung for not paying the Custom-House dues.

1369

Yarmouth first appointed a staple port.

1372

Aug. 22nd. Kirkley Road united to the town and port of Yarmouth by charter of Edward. III, but repealed four years afterwards.

1378

Price of coal, including freight, 5s 6d per chaldron.

1381

The memorable rebellion of Wat Taylor. The town attacked by 20,000 rebels, who plundered. houses and did much damage, but who were defeated after much bloodshed

1382

June 20th. Violent shock of an earthquake, and much damage done.

June King Richard II visited Great Yarmouth.

1384

Market Place paved, and a Cross and Pillory built.

1385

William Bardolf, Baron Bardolf, died. He had large estates near Yarmouth.

1386

Sir Henry Percy and Faux Percy sent to Yarmouth with 300 men-at-arms and 600 archers, to guard the coast, an invasion from France being apprehended.

1392

A Horse Ferry at Gorleston existed.

1393

The second Haven made, and. a third in 1408.

1395

Several small Yarmouth ships taken by Danish pirates in a sharp conflict off the coast.

1396

After a lapse of 111years the fortifications of the town were completed - 20 towers, 10 gates, and the wall, 2280 yards in extent. (See 1544)

1403

Henry IV granted, by the consent of Parliament, that the shipping, weighing, and packing of wool, hides, and skins, should be done at Yarmouth, it being a frontier town.

1408

Third Haven cut.

1426

The annual election of four Bailiff's reduced to two, and so continued. until 1684, when a Mayor was appointed in their stead.

1427

Yarmouth Bridge built, before which a horse, cart, cattle, and foot ferry-boat existed. This was replaced by four successive drawbridges, e.g. 1553, 1570, 1785, and. 1886. (See 1849.)

1428

About sixty pilgrims from Yarmouth left England for the shrine of St. James of Compostella, at Santiago, in Gallicia.

1450

Caister Castle supposed to be founded by Sir John Fastolf, K.G. He was born in 1377 and died in 1459 in his Hall at Caister, aged 82 years, and was buried in the Abbey Church of St Bennet, at Holme, leaving his estate to John Paston, Eq.

l459

July 24th Lord Lieutenants of Counties first appointed.

1462-1586

Sacred Dramas and Mysteries performed in St. Nicholas Church.

1463

John Pedle, laborer, of Yarmouth, executed for coining and uttering eighteen groats, made of copper and lead, as good. and. lawful money of England.

1465

Our Lady's organ in St Nicholas' Church; the old and new organs in 1485; great old organs in 1486; and Jesus' organ in 1550.

1466

John Paston died in the Fleet Prison, after the seizure of his estates.

1467

Fourteen persons hanged at one time upon a gallows erected on the beach.

1469

The Duke of Norfolk, at the head of 3000 men, laid siege to Caister Castle, which was surrendered to his Grace. He died in 1475, and Caister Castle again reverted to the Paston family.

1475

Yarmouth threatened by the French fleet - 200 armed men sent from Norwich.

A whale came ashore south of Grubb's Haven, which was cut to pieces and carried away in carts.

1488

The Bailiffs feasted Sir John Paston, son of the late John Paston, on porpoise, a Royal fish.

1493

May 16th. By charter of Henry VII., Burgesses were empowered to constitute Justices of the Peace.

1508

The fourth haven made; and the fifth Haven cut in the reign of Henry VIII., 1529.

1509

House of Carmelites destroyed. by fire; founded in Edward I.'s time.

1515

Queen of France and her husband, Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk, entertained three days.

1525

Church of the Dominicans burnt down.

1527

The Crane erected by Robert Bishop.

l528

Great dearth of corn. The extravagant sale price then was 26s. 8d. per quarter. Several men were hanged. for taking part in a riot arising from the same.

1528

Gorleston began to be built upon.

l529

Duke of Suffolk suppressed a riot arising from the dearness of corn.

1535

November 1st. Tumult in St. Nicholas' Church; twenty-four persons, with William Swarton, the chaplain, at their head, disturbed the congregation while the Rev. D. R. Cotton was preaching.

1538

The high altar of St. Nicholas' Church, remarkable for its richness and beauty, with the saint's figures and pictures, broken and. destroyed.

1541

October 28th. Four merchant heretics entered St. Nicholas' Church, and created a great disturbance during the service.

Nov. 2nd. A merchant and. shoemaker were fined 2s. each for bargaining and selling a last of white herring in the Church.

Sir Humphrey Wingfield returned to Parliament, held at Westminster.

Ordered that Aldermen should wear scarlet gowns, with fur tippets and straight hose, at assemblies and festivals.

1544

Height of town wall, 23 feet. On war being declared, the following year with France, a large rampire was thrown up on the eastern side, and afterwards extended along the north and south walls. (See 1396.)

Sir H. Wingfield again returned to Parliament.

1545

At Corporate meetings no member allowed to depart without leave of the Bailiffs; otherwise was fined for disorderly conduct. Members of the Corporation compelled. to wear scarlet gowns and straight hose, under penalty of fines.

1546

Two French ships and 120 prisoners taken by the town.

A house for country butchers built.

1549

The sixth Haven made. It was agreed that the money, plate, ornaments, robes, vestments, tunicles, albs, ameffes, &c., belonging to St. Nicholas' Church, should be disposed of, together with the bells in the steeple and other property in the Church, and the proceeds (£1816 9s. 7d.) devoted to its construction. The Haven was then commenced, 100 men being employed daily upon it.

A rebellion in the town. Kett's adherents advanced and destroyed all the materials for the Haven, and laid it in ruins; and the work of the Harbor was stopped till the following year. The next attempt also proved as unsuccessful. Another report says - The Norfolk rebellion, under Kett the tanner, commenced; but their designs were frustrated. by Yarmouth men, who, setting fire to a stack of hay on the west side of the Haven, were able to attack the enemy unseen, and defeated them - several insurgents being killed, thirty taken prisoners, and their ordnance secured. They were afterwards defeated by the Earl of Warwick at headquarters in Norwich, and lost some 4500 men; their leaders, William and Robert Kett, being suspended alive in chains on a gibbet.

1550

Another great Plague. (See 1349.)

The Castle, used as a Borough Gaol. During subsequent periods of alarm, it was again repaired. The upper part of it was taken down in 1620, and the following year the whole fabric was ordered to be dismantled and. demolished.

1551

Many of the brasses enclosing the inscriptions on the walls of St. Nicholas' Church sent to London to be cast into weights and measures for the town's use.

A Grammar and Free School in existence in Yarmouth, the "Parson of Haddiscoe" being appointed for a quarter of a year on trial. He was succeeded the same year by an "expert man;" and it was agreed that each of the four-and twenties (Aldermen) should pay towards his living 18d., and each of the eight-and-forties (Common Councilmen) 8d. a-year over the stipends, upon the well-doing of the schoolmaster. From 1551 till 1757, twenty-eight gentlemen were appointed to the Mastership. In 1757 the school appears to have been closed, for we find the master quitting possession and resigning his office; and on February 5th, 1773, the chamberlains were directed to do necessary repairs, and to let the school to Mr. Richard Eaton, the younger, for £4 a-year. The school was re-established. in 1863.

John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland, K.G., High Steward of the Borough.

1552

Sir W. Wodehouse, Knt., and N. Frymage, Esq., returned to Parliament.

Every inhabitant found smoking tobacco or overcome with drink in any tippling-house was apprehended.

1553

Oct. 1st. Robert Eyre and Simon More were chosen Burgesses of the Parliament.

Drawbridge erected to connect Southtown with Great Yarmouth, in place of the one built in 1427.

Beer sold at 3s. 4d. per thirty-two gallons.

This year and two following, six Aldermen were returned to Parliament.

1554

Thomas Howard, Duke of Norfolk, High Steward of the Borough.

1555

Fifty vessels wrecked off Yarmouth within twenty-four hours.

No brewer allowed to brew in the town unless by the appointment of the Bailiffs.

Another attempt to form a Haven, a ship being sunk at the mouth to stem the tide. But this project was abandoned the following year, and it was stopped up with furze bundles in 1557.

1557

Dec. 1st. The town inundated. Men were thus enabled to row up and down the streets in boats, and several ships were drawn over the Denes with windlasses.

1558-1567

The ground upon which Major Foreman's houses are built (Hall Plain.) was, in the time of Queen Elizabeth, called "The South Foreland," or Furlong's End." In 1568 the houses there standing were given by William Garton to the church-wardens for the use of the Church. In 1622 they were repaired, and in 1674 rebuilt. John Fastolf, the father of Sir John Fastolf, of Caister Castle, had a house in the "Foreland," but whereabouts cannot now be discovered. These houses were re-fronted by the present owner in 1866.

Sir T. Wodehouse, Knt., and. Wm. Barker, Esq., returned to Parliament.

The Market Cross repaired.

1559

May 26th. Queen Elizabeth granted a Charter for the better security, defence, and protection of the town

1560

Jan. 8th. The present (seventh) Haven commenced. This Haven was cut near the spot of the one made in 1529. Nearly 1000 persons, including women and children, were employed about the works, which were completed on March 4th to the satisfaction of the inhabitants. In 1566 the water broke through, and made its old channel towards Newton Cross.

First Jetty erected, having a crane at the end to facilitate the landing of goods from boats.

1561

Three town wells opened.

1562

Thomas Timperley and William Grice, Esqs., were returned to Parliament; the latter was also re-turned in 1570 with William Barker, Esq.; in 1571 with John. Bacon, Esq.; and in 1584 and 1585 with Thomas Damett, Esq. Three small silver maces, belonging to the Corporation, made.

1563

Herrings very scarce, and sold for £9 a last.

1567

Piers built on each side of the Haven.

1569

Three ships of war compelled to leave by the town guns.

The Paston family sold Caister Castle to meet their embarrassments.

Herrings sold for £8 a last,; a tun (4 hogshds.) of wine was also of the same value.

Part of the town wall fell through being overcharged.

1570

Mr. Vincent Goodwin first preacher appointed at St. Nicholas' Church.

Drawbridge carried. away by high tide, and another constructed. in 1785, at a cost of £403 15s. 9d., notwithstanding £225 had been expended the year previous in repairs.

1572

Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, E.G., High Steward of the Borough.

Brewers ordered to brew with coals instead of wood.

Every ale-house licensed by the Bailiffs.

1573

Regulations made to prevent goods lying on the Quay longer than necessary.

1575

Feb. 10th. Mr. Harbrowne elected to Parliament in place of John Bacon, Esq., but only served one day, the latter being re-elected.

1576

Edward Owner born. He represented the town in Parliament four times, and died August 18th, 1650.

1577

Burgh Water Frolic first spoken of, being a grand, event, and patronised by the Mayor and Corporation.

1578

Inhabitants prohibited from washing their clothes near the public wells.

I.ord Burleigh and the Earl of Leicester paid Yarmouth a visit, and were entertained at the Priory. Queen Elizabeth was expected., and a silver cup, costing £16, made for presentation to her Majesty, but she reached no further than Norwich.

Scratby Sand became entirely dry land, and raised its head so much above high-water mark, that grass, &c., grew on it, and. sea birds built their nests. It was called " Yarmouth Island."

1579

May to September. Great plague; 2000 persons died, and the Grammar School shut up for six months. (See 1349 and 1550).

1580

August 2nd. Dinner provided for forty-three gentlemen on a sandbank out at sea near Scratby Sand. In 1582 it was swept away by a strong easterly wind. and tide.

2,000 lasts (2,640,000 single fish) of herrings brought in on one tide

1582

Large fish, 17 yards long, the jaw 3.25 yards long, body 4.5 yards thick, caught at Caister.

1583

No one could. be elected a Burgess in Parliament unless he was an Alderman.

1585

The Privy Council requested the town to provide ships for the transport of 400 soldiers into the Low Countries. To raise funds every Alderman advanced, £5, and. every Common Councilman £2. 10s., the rest of the money being raised by assessment.

1586

Pulpit erected at the west-end. of St. Nicholas' Church; removed in 1635, another erected in the south-east corner of the south aisle, which was also removed in 1846.

Number of " tippling houses " in Yarmouth restricted to sixteen.

1588

John Stubbs and Roger Drury, Esqs., elected to Parliament.

William Cecil, Lordl Burleigh, E.G., High Steward of the Borough. In 1578 he visited Yarmouth in company with the Earl of Leicester.

1588

Preparations to receive the Spanish Armada. The fortifications put into the best state of defence, a boom thrown across the Haven at the South-gates, and a mound of earth raised higher than the walls, called the " South Mount," on which were placed several pieces of ordnance. Another mound, the "New Mount," was afterwards thrown up near St. George's Chapel, and a war-like ship fitted out at the town's expense to annoy the enemy at sea, and preparations made to lodge and provision a garrison of 1,000 men. The sum of £1,355 4s. 9d. was assessed on the County.

1589

No victualler or innkeeper allowed to retail any "strange beer" under pain of forfeiture.

1591

An ale-house or tavern could only be kept by a Freeman or the widow of a Freeman.

Two Yarmouth ships required to carry out 150 soldiers to Normandy.

1592

T. Damett, Esq., again returned to Parliament with John Felton, Esq.

1596

John Felton, Esq., again returned to Parliament with Sir H. Hobart.

Elizabethan House on the Quay, built by Benjamin Cowper. It was sold to John Carter, a friend of Oliver Cromwell. The supporters of Cromwell frequently assembled in this house, and, it is supposed that the death of Charles I. was here determined on. It was for many years previous to February 26th, 1867, the residence and property of Charles J. Palmer, Esq., F.S,A.

Arthur Wilson born at Yarmouth. He published an account of the life and reign of James I., written with much freedom, and displaying a thorough knowledge of Court intrigues; but the liberties he took in exposing the propensities of that monarch and his son towards the Catholic cause, brought upon him the vehement censure of the friends of the Stuart family, who said that he had. written from conjectures rather than from records, and that his work was more like a pasquinade than an authentic history. He was for many years an attendant on the Earl of Essex, and afterwards steward to the Earl of Warwick. He died in 1652.

1597

700 Vessels in the Haven at one time.

1598

The number of Rows was seven score (140).

The south-side of the Hospital School used as a House of Correction.

Robert Devereux, Earl of Essex, K.G., High Steward of the Borough.

1599

Rev. Thomas Nash published the "Lenten Stuffe," containing a description of Yarmouth, &c., and a play in praise of the red herring. He was born at Lowestoft in 1558.

to 1660.- Caister Castle deserted. as a residence.

1600

Sir Henry Hobart and T. Damett, Esq., again returned to Parliament; the latter, with John Wheeler, Esq., also returned on the accession of James I.

Every Alderman, or his deputy, with a constable, ordered to visit all ale-houses and taverns twice a week, and make inquiries respecting the customers.

1601

The washing and. rinsing of nets near the public wells forbidden.

The town required to provide and. provision ships for transporting 600 soldiers to the Low Countries.

Charles Howard, Earl of Nottingham, K.G., Lord High Admiral of England, elected High Steward of the Borough

1604

A third Market Cross erected.

1607

The three rivers frozen over for forty days.

1611

Drapers, mercers, grocers, and. haberdashers prohibited from having stalls in the market.

Herring Fair held. A great scarcity of herrings this year, a last of Windsor herrings being sold for £15. 6s.

1612

Great damage done to the Piers by a raging tide.

Aldermen, who had held office as bailiffs, compelled to wear scarlet gowns with tippets, under pain of a 40s. fine.

1613

The present Haven completed at a cost of £38,632, and from this date to 1770 inclusive, £215,644 had been expended about the Haven and Piers.

1614

Sir Theophilus Finch and. G. Hardware, Esq., re-turned to Parliament, but the former was succeeded soon after by Sir Henry Hobart.

100 jacobuses (a gold. coin struck in the time of' James I.) presented to King James II by the town, as a mark of loyalty and. affection.

1615

At Corporate meetings no gentleman allowed. to make uncomely and indecent speeches out of time and order, or create a disturbance when touching upon any public good, or even allowed to make a remark till the previous speaker had sat down, under penalty of fine or dismissal.

1616

About fifty Yarmouth Fishermen laid up their vessels, having no licenses for exportation.

1617

License granted for the export of 600 lasts of herrings, which was annually renewed till 1624.

1618

The Cage or Stock-house set up.

1619

The last demand. made by the Crown for furnishing vessels of war, until Charles I resorted to that means of raising a revenue without the sanction of Parliament.

1620

December 21st John Cowldham, four times a Bailiff, and Magistrate, died, aged 84 years.

B. Cowper and. Edward Owner, Esqs., free Burgesses, elected to Parliament.

1622

" Tippling houses" had increased to forty, and were restricted to that number.

1623

Benjamin Cowper, Esq., re-elected with G. Hardware, Esq., to serve in Parliament.

l624

Artillery-yard on the site of present Unitarian Chapel.

1625

December 29th. Poor people not allowed. to marry unless sanctioned by the Chief Alderman or Chief Constable, by order made this year.

Manship, who wrote the " History of Great Yarmouth," died. He was Town Clerk in 1579.

Sir John Corbet and E. Owner, Esq., elected to Parliament; and in the same year Sir John was re-elected with Thomas Johnson, Esq.

Fishmarket, on the site of the present, covered in and paved. Covering removed in 1844.

1626

Robert Sydney, Earl of Leicester, K.G., High Steward of the Borough, Nicholas Felton, Bishop of Ely, died. He was a native of Yarmouth, and one of the prelates employed by James I. in the new translation of the Bible.

1627

Sir John Wentworth and. Miles Corbet, Esq., elected to Parliament.

1628&1629

The town obtained leave to export 1000 lasts of herrings, which continued till 1637, when £50 per annum was demanded. by the Trinity' for ten years, and, afterwards for forty years

1629

1200 Householders in Yarmouth.

Edward Sackville, Earl of Dorset, K.G., High Steward. of the Borough.

1632

Tobacco allowed only to be retailed in this town by one apothecary, six grocers, two hosiers, one merchant, and a chairmaker.

June 26th. Four Frenchmen executed fox murdering Nicholas Harpley.

1633

Aldermen's wives compelled, to wear velvet hats up to this date, when the ordinance was annulled.

1637

Thirty-four brewing-houses in Yarmouth

1639

Miles Corbet, Esq., re-elected, with Edward Owner, Esq,, as members of Parliament.

1642

Sept. Earl of Warwick, Lord. High Admiral, visited. Yarmouth.

Oct. 12th. A ship, with 140 armed soldiers onboard, through stress of weather, put into Yarmouth port; she was seized by the townsmen, and her crew and soldiers imprisoned on behalf of the Parliament.

Dec. 23rd. A rate of £1200 assessed upon the inhabitants for the fortifications.

The town collected £136 for the relief of distressed subjects in Ireland.

1643

Feb. Lord. Grey of Werke required Yarmouth to send eighty dragoons to Cambridge.

1644

The number of "tippling-houses" increased to eighty, besides great inns and. taverns; and in 1705 augmented to 120.

Letters between Yarmouth and London only passed once a week

Twenty Iceland fishing barques belonging to Yarmouth), merchants taken by pirates, only three escaping.

1645

Additional fortifications made. Breastworks and platforms built at the seaside, and ordnance mounted on them.

The Earl of Lauderdale visited Yarmouth, and was sumptuously entertained at the town's expense.

1648

Sept. 9th. Lord Fairfax marched into Yarmouth, and the town was converted into a garrison.

Three men-of-war ships sent to convoy the fishers and guard the coast.

The Burgesses raised 600 foot and 50 horse soldiers, in lieu of having other forces marched into the: town to do garrison duty.

1649

Pour Aldermen and. sixteen Common Councillors resigned office in the Corporation; six were afterwards reinstated.

1650

The Puritans removed, a fine old organ from St.Nicholas' Church.

The Presbyterians made a doorway in the north wall of St. Nicholas' Church, and opened the north aisle of the chancel for public worship.

1651

Up to this date prayer was always used before the commencement of public business.

1652

Admiral Blake sent several ships to Yarmouth, which he had captured from the Dutch.

Dr. Thomas Soame died. He was the son of a fisherman at Yarmouth, but related to a wealthy family of the same name at Burnham. He lived in the reign of Charles 1., and having entered holy orders he became minister of Staines in Middlesex, and Prebendary of Windsor. During the civil wars, he was so zealously attached to Royalty that he sent all he had to the King, so that when the rebels came to plunder him he bad nothing, for which he was imprisoned, first in Newgate and afterwards in the Fleet Prison, where he died.

1653

June 6th. Yarmouth sent five members to the "Little" Parliament, summoned, by Cromwell. Resigned December 12th.

Aug; 29th. General Monk granted a warrant to free Yarmouth fishermen in the herring fair from being pressed into the service of the State.

Lord Henry Cromwell, youngest son of Oliver, High Steward of the Borough.

1653 and 1654 - Norfolk sent ten members to Parliament.

1654

Dec. 16th. Oliver Cromwell proclaimed in the Market Place Proteetor of the Commonwealth of the United Kingdom.

Colonel William Goffe and. Thomas Dunne, Esq., were elected Burgesses to Parliament by three Aldermen and twenty-six Common Councilmen.

1656

William Burton and C. G. Cock, Esqs., elected to Parliament.

1659

Yarmouth people sent to Southwold thirty coombs of wheat and ten coombs of rye for the sufferers from a fire which consumed the greater part of Southwold.

W. Burton and C. 6. Cock, Esqs., re-eleeted to Parliament.

1660

Edward Hyde, Earl of Clarendon, High Steward of the Borough.

A "Healing Parliament" called, and. Sir J. Palgrave, Bart., and Miles Corbet, Esq., elected.

1661

Sir William D'Oyley, Bart., and Sir W. Coventry, Bart., Secretary to the Admiralty, returned to Parliament

1662

Contention and bloodshed through concurrent jurisdiction ceased, when the Cinque Ports dissolved, government with Yarmouth.

1664

Jan. 22nd. Rev. John Brinsley, sen., lecturer in Yarmouth, died, aged 64.

2500 persons died of plague, including two ministers of St. Nicholas' Church. (See 1349, 1550, and. 1579).

1665

June 3rd. Great sea fight off Lowestoft, when the Dutch Admiral (Opdam) was defeated.

1667

John Carter, twice Bailiff and one of the Elders, died, aged. 78.

Town farthings coined by the Overseers "for the use of the poor." In 1673 they were cried down, and the town fined £90 for setting up a local mint; Lord Townshend petitioned the King on their behalf that he would pardon the offence.

1668

22,760 chaldrons of coal imported.

1670

An Act of Parliament passed appointing Haven Commissioners, viz., three for Norfolk, three for Suffolk, two for Norwich, and two for Yarmouth.

April 21st. Mitchell Mew, twice Bailiff, and once Mayor, died, aged 71 years.

1671

Sept. 27th. Charles II. visited Yarmouth, accompanied by the Duke of York-, Duke of Monmouth, and Duke of Buckenham, and publicly entertained at a cost of £1000.- The Corporation presented the King with four golden herrings and a chain, value £250. The King knighted three gentlemen of the town.

1672

May 28th. Duke of York, commander of the English fleet, defeated the Dutch fleet under De Ruyter, in Sole bay; or Southwold bay. The guns were heard at Yarmouth, and the sick and wounded afterwards brought here. Yarmouth sent presents to the Duke of York, previous to the engagement.

1673

April 8th. William Burton, sen., twice Bailiff of the town, died, aged 65 years.

Son of Sir Wm. Paston created Baron Paston and Viscount Yarmouth; also created Earl of Yarmouth in 1679. In 1676 he was shot at and wounded while in his coach. He died in 1682.

1674

Robert Paston, Viscount Yarmouth, High Steward of the Borough.

The famous "Yarmouth Troll Cart" in use. At this date they were known by the name of " Yarmouth Coaches," being more elegantly made, and let out to pleasure parties.

Bell factory supposed. to have existed.

1677

Grand celebration in Yarmouth on the marriage of William III., Prince of Orange, with Princess Mary.

Captain Booth executed in the town for stabbing a seaman.

1678

Bonfires, by order of the Corporation, made in the Market Place and other parts of the town, on the passing of the " Test Act " by both Houses of Parliament. .

1679

Sir W. Coventry, Knt., re-elected to Parliament with Lord. Huntingdon.

1680

Richard Huntingdon and George England, Esqs., returned to Parliament.

1681

October 21st. Sir William Gooch, Bart., born in Yarmouth. Early in life he entered the army, and distinguished himself in the Rebellion of 1715. George I. made him Lieutenant - Governor of Virginia in 1727; and. in 1740 he was appointed Colonel of an American Regiment, and assisted at the memorable siege of Carthagena. For his services he was promoted; being first made Brigadier and then Major-General, in which capacity, in 1747, he commanded. in the expedition to Quebec. Died at Bath, December 17th, 1751.

1681

The whole body of Freemen claimed a right of electing members for the town, and accordingly chose Sir James Johnson, Knt., and George England, Esq. Before this, the Corporation had usually taken upon themselves this business, sometimes by a majority of the assembly, and sometimes by an inquest of six Aldermen. and six Common Councilmen.

H.R.H. the Duke of York entertained to a sumptuous dinner in Yarmouth; afterwards embarked in the frigate "Gloucester," but (May 6th) the vessel striking on the Leman and Ower sand, 12 leagues from Yarmouth, she filled with water, and the Duke escaped in a shallop with Colonel Churchhill, Earl of Aberdeen, Duke of Montrose, and. a few other persons.

1688

William Paston, Earl of Yarmouth, High Steward. of the Borough.

Spire of St. Nicholas' Church, being of wood and lead, set on fire by lightning. John Grice received from the Corporation a piece of plate, value £10, for extinguishing it.

1684

April 26th. First Yarmouth Fair held.

May 7th. John Hall, Esq.. died, aged 61 years. He was a merchant, Alderman by the old and new charter, and twice Bailiff of the town.

July 22nd. The charter granted by which a Mayor was substituted for the two Bailiffs, 18 Aldermen instead. of 36, and 36 Common Councilmen instead of 48. By Charles II. a High Steward, a Recorder, a Sub-Steward, two Coroners, two Chamberlains, and a Glerk of the Courts, were also appointed. Southtown was added to the liberties of the Borough (see 1687 and 1763). (This charter also empowered them to hold Two fairs yearly.) The instrument was brought from London by the eldest son of the Earl of Yarmouth to Haddiseoe, and given to George Ward, Esq., the first Mayor elected. He, accompanied by a large train of carriages, and from 300 to 400 horsemen, proceeded to Haddiscoe to receive it. Great rejoicing in the town.

Lady Yarmouth, wife of the above Earl, died.

1684

The Corporation Sword of Justice, carried before the Mayor, adopted.

Sir Thomas Medowe, Mayor, being the second elected the same year.

Lord Huntingdon and George England, Esq., returned to Parliament; also in 1686 and 1688.

Town Charters surrendered to Charles II.

1685

Earl of Yarmouth invited Sir A. Dean and Sir H. Shiers to view the Haven and Piers. The latter was presented with 105 guineas for his journey. He also visited the town in 1687, accompanied by Lord Dartmouth, who recommended that a ship be sunk, or jetty made, northward of the north Pier, to prevent the sand from coming into the Haven, and that a basin be formed, westward, of the "brush," with a sluice to let out the water forcibly into the Haven towards the latter ebb.

1686

Lord Huntingdon and George England, Esq., elected by the Freemen to serve in Parliament. The right of Freemen to vote was ever acquiesced in by the Corporation.

1687

Aug. 12th. Prince George of Denmark landed at Yarmouth, and went post to Windsor.

James II. ejected 5 Aldermen and 12 Common Councilmen from the Corporate Body; and in the following year 3 Aldermen and 4 Councilmen, and placed others in their stead. This right of displacing the Corporate body was reserved by the King.

1688

June 24th. Tumult and riotous proceedings took place in the town through the bigoted conduct of King James II.

Lord Huntingdon and G. England Esq., again elected, and sent to the Convention Parliament the same year. Re-elected in 1690 and 1695.

Bellasis' Royal Fusileers quartered in the town.

The office of Mayor ceased, and the Government of the town again reverted to two Bailiffs, under King James II.'s proclamation. This continued till the time of Queen Anne. (See 1702.)

Joseph Ames, author of the " Typographical Antiquities, or Memoirs of Printing and Printers in England," was born at Yarmouth, and. died in 1759

1689

February 16th. Prince of Orange and the Princess Mary proclaimed in the Market Place.

George England and Samuel Fuller, Esqs., returned to Parliament; also in 1695, 1698, and 1700.

1690

May 16th. Edmund Thaxter, Alderman., and twice bailiff, died, aged 62.

The Maces carried by the Mayor's officers ordered to be made.

1691

Anthony Ellys, Bishop of St. David's, and author of several theological works, was born at Yarmouth. Died in 1761.

1692

Oct. 18th. William III. landed at Yarmouth, and received. with great enthusiasm. The Corporation spent £106 in entertaining him.

200 vessels and nearly 1000 lives lost in one night off this coast.

1693

Sept. 11th. Thomas, second son of Sir Geo. England, Alderman and twice Bailiff, died, aged 48 years.

Oct. 28th. John Albertson, Esq., Alderman and Bailiff in 1655, died, aged 48 years.

1694

A Bar having formed across the Harbor's mouth, the dangerous state of the Haven was made known by the beat of a drum, and the inhabitants desired to cut and dig a " gut" or trench through the Bar.

1694 and 1810 - Proposed to break up the streets and lay pipes to supply the inhabitants with spring water from a large reservoir, collected from the wells on the Denes. (See 1835 and 1855.)

1697

Corporation voted an address to the King upon his safe return, and peace with the French King.

1701

John Nicholson and John Burton, Esqs., returned to Parliament.

1702

June 30th. George England, Esq., eldest son of Sir George, died, aged 58 years. He was Recorder, and several times member of Parliament for the borough. (See 1693 and 1711.)

Fisherman's Hospital (for forty persons) erected by the Corporation.

The Corporation obtained a new Charter, granted by Queen Anne, which again allowed them to choose a Mayor instead of two Bailiffs.

Benjamin England and J. Nicholson, Esqs., returned to Parliament; also in 1705

1703

July 3rd. Thomas Bradford, Esq., Mayor, died aged 74 years.

March 11th. Twenty-fifth and last Charter granted by Queen Anne, re-appointing certain governors of the town. (See 1684.) When the Parliamentary and Municipal Reform Acts were passed. (1832 and 1835), the Mayor was again required to be chosen from the whole body of the Corporation, whether Aldermen or Town Councillors.

1704

April 30th. Thomas Godfrey, twice Bailiff, and many years Town Clerk of this Borough, died aged 63 years.

1706

The expenses of Yarmouth Haven amounted to £2,710 7s. 5d.

1707

April 27th. Thomas Bendish, Esq., died, aged 61 years. He was a descendant of the ancient family of Sir Thomas Bendish, Earl., of Essex, who was ambassador from Charles II. to the Grand Seigneur. He married Bridget, daughter of H. Ireton, Esq., of Ireton, for some time Lord Lieutenant of Ireland.

1708

Hon. Roger Townshend and, Richard Ferrier, Esq, returned to Parliament.

1710

November 7th. William Browne, Esq., Mayor, died aged 46 years.

Richard Ferrier and George England, Esqs., returned to ParIiament; also in 1713.

1711

April 30th. Benjamin Eugland, Esq., third son of Sir George, died. He was several times Bailiff, Mayor, and Member of Parliament for the Borough.

Henry Borrett, Esq., was Mayor, but dying before his term of office was completed, Samuel Wakeman, Esq., was chosen.

Ordered that no license be granted to any person to draw or retail ale or any other liquor at any house by the sea-side, except during the fishing seasons

1712

Oct. 3rd. Twenty persons drowned on Breydon from the upsetting of a wherry.

An Act obtained, for making a causeway over the Denes from Yarmouth to Caister.

1713

The Charity School erected by a few benevolent persons; and in 1723 the Corporation built two large rooms.

The Charity School erected in the Market Place

1715

Mayors and Justices allowed to wear different gowns to those of other Corporate members.

St. George's Episcopal Chapel finished building. The contractors were Messrs. Price and Son, who after-wards built the Town Hall. It was consecrated December 8th, 1815. Cost £3,800.

South Denes laid out as a race-course by John Holdrich and. other innkeepers of Yarmouth; but annual races not held till 1810.

Easter fair held on Good Friday until this date, when the Corporation ordered it to be held on the Friday

following.

Geo. England, Esq., and the Hon. Horatio Townshend returnecl to Parliament.

1716

Town Hall erected at a cost of £880.

1718

It was agreed. that the two last and every succeeding Mayor should receive £100 each, in lieu of the fishing thousand.

1721

An. Act, passed enforcing half the amount of ordinary duties on the Haven to be expended in improving the Haven, Piers, and Jetties; one-fourth part to be expended in deepening and cleansing the three rivers, and repairing the bridge and public quays at Yarmouth; and the remaining fourth part in cleansing and deepening Breydon.

1722

Oct. 2nd. William Spooner, Bailiff and afterwards Mayor, died, aged 67 years.

Hon. Charles Townshend ancl. Hon, Horatio Walpole returned to Parliament, The latter created a Baronet in 1756.

1723

Guildhall, near St. Nicholas Church, pulled down and. re-placed by au unsightly building, where Corporate assemblies were held till 1835.

1724

Jan. 28th. James Artis, Esq., Bailiff, Mayor, and Captain of Fusileers, died aged 68 years.

1726

July 14th. Mrs. Bridget Bendish, granddaughter of Oliver Cromwell, died at Southtown.

1728

Hon. W. Townshend and Hon. Horatio Walpole returned to Parliament.

1729

The Pillory removed.

£50 raised by the town for the relief of the English prisoners at Mequinez.

1730

July. A remarkable storm and tempest; hailstones of prodigious magnitude fell.

1732

Sir Robert Walpole, Earl of Orford, K.G., High Steward of the Borough.

1733

Organ now at the Parish Church first opened. (See Jan. 25th, 1869.)

1734

A poor fisherman named Danby obtained a verdict with £15 damages, against William Browne, Esq. (the Mayor), Justice Artis, and Masters (the Bridewell man), for whipping and false imprisoning the plaintiff.

The Mayor's chain and medal appendant subscribed for. The cost of the chain alone was £141 18s. 3d.

Organ at St. George's Chapel built by Jordan.

Hon. Edward Walpole and the Hon. William Townshend returned to Parliament, but the latter dying in 1737, was succeeded by his brother, the Hon. Roger Townshend.

1736

Elizabeth Thompson hanged for the murder of a Dutchman in the Gaol-row.

1737

George II. landed a few miles south of Yarmouth.

1739

Sir R. Walpole sent 50 guineas to be expended in coal for the poor.

Robert Ferrier appointed. Town Clerk, and eleven years afterwards filled the civic chair.

1740

Chris. Barnard, Esq., elected Mayor, but died before completing his term of office.

Expenses of Yarmouth Haven were £3,299 15s. 9d.

Amelia Sophia de Walmoden, presumed to have been the mistress of George II., was created Baroness and Countess of Yarniouth for life. She died in 1750.

1741

Hon. Roger Townshend and E. Walpole, Esq., returned to Parliament. Votes - T., 400, W., 391; Hewling Luston, 104; Richard Fuller, 97.

1742

John 'Thacker hanged for killing John Auger with a pistol ball in a shop near the Wheel of Fortune.

1744

The inquest, chosen for electing a Mayor, locked up in the Guildhall for ten days; in 1765, six days; in 1767, three days and three nights; and in 1814, fifty-four hours.

Samuel Killett, Esq., Alderman, gave the Corporation of Yarmouth a silver oar, double gilt, the insignia of the Admiralty Court.

l745

Robert Walpole, Earl of Orford, High Steward. of the Borough.

1746

Mayor's medal appendant sold; its value applied for adding links to the chain.

1747

Hon. E. Walpole and the Hon. Chas. Townshend elected to Parliament.

The Cage or Stock-house removed.

1748

Nov. 30th. John Dobson Tongue hanged for robbing Mr. Halsden on the Southtown-road.

1749

Oct. 13th. John Sullivan hanged for robbing Mrs. Meed on the Denes.

1750

John Barcham, mariner, executed for the murder of Robert Bullen.

An Act passed appointing a committee of twelve inhabitants of Yarmouth to inspect the Haven works, and to summon the Commissioners in cases of need.

Mrs. Cromwell, lineally descended from Oliver Cromwell, died at Yarmouth, at an advanced age.

1751

George Walpole, Earl of Orford, High Steward of the Borough.

Dr. John Butler minister at St. Nicholas' Church, and afterwards Bishop of Oxford and Hereford. He died in 1802.

An Act passed, to open the port of Yarmouth for the importation of wool and woollen yarn from Ireland.

1752

Chris. Taylor, Esq., Mayor, died before completing his term of office.

The Gallows-house on the North Denes removed.

1753

Expensea of Yarmouth Haven amounted to £3360 3s. 9d.

1754

April 18th. Right Hon. C. Townshend and his former colleague, then Sir E. Walpole, K.B., and Chief Secretary for Ireland, elected to Parliament. Votes - T., 541; W., 518; R. Fuller, 397; and William Browne, 342.

Mr. Thos. Olivers made an unsuccessful attempt to introduce Methodism into the town. He and a friend were assailed on the Sunday with dirt, stones, and missiles of every description without mercy, and driven out of the town. Mr. Howell Harris made an attempt in 1760, which was more successful, though at great risk of his life.

1756

July 23rd. William Burton, M.D., died, aged 53.

September 1st. Naval engagement off Lowestoft between H.M.S. "Hazard." and a French privateer, "La Subtille," carrying 12 guns and 86 men. After six hours the Frenchman struck off Winterton, and the next day (Sunday), the prisoners were landed and lodged in gaol. By undermining the prison wall, fourteen broke out, and only four were

re-taken.

C. Townshend, Esq., a cousin to the Hon. Charles, was elected to Parliament by a majority of 32 votes, on the latter accepting the office of Treasurer of his Majesty's Chamber. Mr. C. Townshend was elected eight times in thirty-three years.

1758

An Act for the better recovery of small debts within the liberties of the Borough obtained.

1759

Yarmouth Sea-baths built. Cost £2000. A hand-some public room added in 1785.

1761

John Wallis, Esq., Mayor, but died before completing his term of office.

Hon. Sir Walpole, K.B, and C. Townshend, Esq., returned. to Parliament.

l763

Gorleston parish, with the Hamlet of Southtown, in Mutford a,nd. Lothingland Hundreds (Suffolk) incorporated for the maintenance of the poor of its 24 parishes, and by an amended Act in 1838.

1765

December 10th. Rev. Christopher Spendlove, sen., lecturer, of Yarmouth, died, aged 69 years.

1766

January 8th. Much distress caused through the high price of food, and a subscription was opened and liberally supported by the inhabitants - 60,188 quartern loaves, weighing 4lbs. 14 oz., at 3d. each, distributed for three months, among the poor till April 25th.

1767

100 feet of the Jetty carried away by high tide.

1768

C. Townshend, Esq., returned to Parliament, with the Hon. Richard Walpole. (Also in 1770, 1774, 1780.)

1769

Sept. 16th. Elizabeth Martin executed for the murder of her illegitimate child.

1770

April 18th. The day of John Wilkes's releasement from the Tower celebrated at Yarmouth with great rejoicings. He was an eminent English politician.

1770

November 8th. Rev. John Manclarke, minister of the parish, died, aged 38 years.

During a gale, thirty vessels and two hundred men lost.

Four of the Town Gates pulled down.

One guinea bounty offered to every able seaman at Yarmouth who would join the fleet to suppress the war with Spain.

1771

"Clappermen" appointed to watch the vessels in the Harbor, and prevent any fire or light being used on board.

1772

January 11th. Henry Swinden, a diligent antiquary, who for twenty years collected and. digested a large mass of information respecting his native town, author of "History of Great Yarmouth," died, the same year his work was published, and while the last sheet was in the press (see 1776), aged 65 years.

l774

Charles Townshend, Esq,, and the Hon. Richard Walpole returned to Parliament. Votes - T., 310; W., 310; W. Beckford, 218; Sir Charles Saunders, K.B., 216. In 1777, Charles Townshend, Esq., vacated his seat, but was returned with W. Beckford, Esq. Votes - T., 502; B, 199.

The overseers' account for the past year, ending at Easter, was - Money received, £2694 16s.; money paid. (including everything, and a new building at £201 l0s.) left a, balance in hand of £61 15s. 7d.

1775

The "Nine houses " at Southtown built, on the site of public tea gardens.

1776

" The History and Antiquities of Yarmouth," by the Rev. Charles Parkins, M.A., Rector of Oxburgh, published.

John Ives, F.R.S., F.S.A., died. He was born at Yarmouth in 1730, and became eminent for his skill in antiquarian science. He published "Manship's History," wrote the preface, and erected a marble monument in St. Nicholas' Church to Manship's memory.

1778

December 4th. Theatre erected, and opened with the comedy of the English Merchant. Building cost £1500. Renovated. in 1828.

1779

January 1st. A tremendous storm and flood, and much d.amage done to the shipping.

1780

Armed associations formed at Yarmouth.

1781

William Pain, a pirate, hanged in London, and afterwards put on a gibbet on the North Denes.

Two batteries on the North Denes erected.

1782

A fort erected on Gorleston heights, armed with six 24-pounders and a battery of nine 18-pounders, for the defence of St. Nicholas Gat. An invasion expected.

The Fisheries protected by an armed force.

Parliamentary Reform agitated; and the town was filled with troops, much to the annoyance of the inhabitants.

An act passed for the better securing the duties payable on the importation of coal and cinders.

The Norfolk Rangers first established.

1783

The celebrated John Wesley preached in Yarmouth, and on October the 22nd opened a chapel. He paid the town three subsequent visits - 1786, 1788, and 1791; the last not five months before his death.

Right Hon. C. Townshend re-elected to Parliament.

1784

First Census taken. Population 12,608.

Two vessels fitted out for the Greenland whale fishery.

Mr. Barrett died, aged 100 years.

Oct. The Prince of Wales (afterwards Geo. IV.) invited by the Corporation to dine at the Town Hall. Not accepted.

Mr. S. Bream, of Yarmouth, advocated the extension of the North Pier for the removal of the Bar. Mr. J. Nichalls, an engineer, suggested in a report that the river should be straightened, and a weir placed across the river near its junction with Breydon.

Sir John Jervis, K.B., returned. to Parliament with H. Beaufoy, Esq.

1785

Another town gate pulled down.

The Dutch sent over 87 boats for the herring fishery off our coast.

Wooden drawbridge across the stream near the Town Hall built, and existed till 1848.

1786

Second drawbridge connecting Yarmouth with Southtown over the Yare re-built and. opened to the public.

l789

November 1st. Forty vessels driven ashore between Yarmouth and Southwold; 80 fishing boats wrecked, and 120 bodies washed ashore between Yarmouth and. Cromer.

An appointed day of thanksgiving for the King's recovery, and the town illuminated.

700 lasts of herrings taken by 180 boats.

1790

June 18th. Right Hon. Charles Townshend and Henry Beaufoy, Esq., returned to Parliament. Votes - T., 632; B., 455; J. T. Sandys, 182.

1791

February 3rd. Part of the Jetty carried away by a destructive high tide, and the Denes under water. On the Southtown Rroad the water was deep enough for boats to ply.

October 27th. Riot on account of the dearness of provisions, but suppressed by the magistrates.

George Townshend, Marquis Townshend, High Steward of the Borough.

1792

February 7th. House of Commons petitioned by Yarmouth for abolition of slave trade.

May 29th. The " Church and King Club" established, and first meeting held at the Wrestler's Inn.

December. Meeting held in Yarmouth, pledging themselves to support the Constitution of King, Lords, and Commons, as established in 1688.

1793

Feb. 11th. Embargo laid on all vessels at Yarmonth.

Feb. 28th. H.M.S. "Savage" brought in the French privateer "Custine,," she being the first prize taken in the war.

Matthew Champion died at the age of 111 years.

The title of Earl of Yarmouth was revived as the secondary title of the Marquis of Hertford.

1794

July. Subscription entered into and a benefit p1ay performed at Yarmouth, for the relief of the widows and orphans of those killed on board the fleet in Lord Howe's victory on June 1st.

1795

May 29th. On the death of H. Beaufoy, Esq., Colonel S. Howe was elected to Parliament with George Anson, Esq. Votes - H., 483; A., 347.

Sir Edmund Lacon, Knt., Mayor. This hon. gentleman was knighted for quelling the riot which began

in the Market-place, occasioned by the high price of provisions.

January 19th. The illustrious fugitive, the Princess of Orange, with her daughter-in-law, little granddaughter, and the child's nurse, accompanied by two gentlemen, embarked on board a fishing boat. They took up their quarters in the hold of the vessel, and were covered with the sails as a defence against the inclement weather. After being safely landed at Yarmouth, the military were drawn up, and their Royal Highnesses driven twice round the Market-place, and then entertained by the Mayor. The Prince unexpectedly came also and took his wife away. The next day the Duke of York visited Yarmouth for the purpose of welcoming them, and though disappointed, was enthusiastically received by the inhabitants.

Another unfortunate Princess near landing on our shore. Princess Caroline of Brunswick, accompanied by the English envoy, Lord Malmesbury, embarked at Cuxhaven on board the "Jupiter," 50 guns, and through distress of weather came within six leagues of the Beach.

A line of packets to Cuxhaven was started from our Port, and the Dover and Harwich packets removed.

Congratulatory address from the Corporation and inhabitants of Yarmouth presented to George III. on his escape from the attack made on his person while proceeding to Parliament House.

1796

June. Lord C. P. T. Townshend and Colonel S. Howe returned to Parliament. Lord Charles on the day following his election was found dead in his carriage, shot in the rnouth by a pistol ball. The same year (October 26th), Major-General W. Loftus and H. Jodrell, Esq., were elected to Parliament. Votes - L., 599; J., 561; Sir J. Jervis, K.B., 418.

June 25th. First time that a squadron of men-of-war ships entered Yarmouth Roads. There were thirteen British and three Russian, under the command of Admiral Macbride.

Freedom of the Borough presented. to Captain Trollope, for defeating eight French ships of war off the coast of Holland.

1796

August 19th. Whilst Thelwall, a political lecturer, was declaiming in a room at Yarmouth, a party of armed sailors from the ships in the Roads broke in, and in their attempt to seize the orator, knocked down every person who opposed them. Upwards of forty persons were wounded in the scuffle; the orator escaped unhurt.

1797

June 1st. Mutiny on board the North Sea Fleet at Yarmouth, and several sail of the line hoisted the red flag of defiance.

Sept. 18th. Admiral Duncan assumed the command of the North Sea Fleet in the Roadstead; vice Admiral Macbride.

Oct. 3rd. Admiral Duncan put into Yarmouth Roads, and six days afterwards went in search of the Dutch fleet, whi.ch was totally defeated. (October 11th) off Camperdown. The British fleet returned in triuinph to Yarmouth Roads, bringing seven sail of the line as prizes. The wounded men were landed and conveyed to the Barracks and to Norwich - there being no Naval Hospital. Yarmouth for several days was thronged with visitors to see the victorious British Fleet and their prizes. A subscription was raised on behalf of the wouuded.

Somerset Militia quartered in the town.

Captain Rysoort, of the "Hercules " (one of AdmiraI Duncan's prizes), died in Yarmouth, and. was buried, with military honours.

A boat on the river between Yarmouth and Breydon overset, and six out of seven youths drowneed.

Freedom of the town presented to Lord Duncan and Sir Richard Onslow for their victories over the Dutch Fleet; also to Earl St. Vincent for the victory over the Spanish fleet on the 14th of 'February.

Mutiny broke out at the Nore, and extended itself to the vessels in Yarmouth Roads, but was quickly suppressed.

1798

March 2nd. Through financial pressure at the Bank of England, Yarmouth banks paid in their own notes, and fractional parts were paid in specie.

1798

July. Two Volunteer Companies of Yeomanry Cavalry formed at Yarmouth under Samuel Barker and H.Worship, Esqs.

October 1st. Intelligence of Admiral Viscount Nelson's ever-memorable victory off the mouth of the Nile received at Yarmouth with great rejoicing.

1799

September 28th. The Duke of York's army returned from an unsuccessful campaign, and the Guards and twenty-four other regiments, comprising 25,000 troops (infantry and cavalry), were landed at Yarmouth on their return from Holland.

An embargo laid on all shipping at Yarmouth.

1800-1877

Goto 1800 - 1877

 

This document is part of Crisp's History Of Yarmouth and has been left in its original form. By Ron Taylor

C3
Goto Menu

 

East Anglia Net Ink editor@ean.co.uk

Best viewed with

IE

Copyright © East Anglia Network Ltd, 1998