1800 - 1877

logo_1877
 

 Chronological Retrospect

From A.D. 46 to 1877

By William Finch-Crisp

1800 - 1877

49-1799

Goto 49 - 1799

1800

September 25th. Freedom of the Borough voted to Sir A. Dickson and Mr. Pitt.

November 6th. Admiral Lord Nelson landed here after the battle of the Nile, having been absent two years and seven months from his native county, and was presented with due honors and the freedom of the town. He was accompanied by Lady and Sir William Hamilton.

November 20th. The herring fishery off Yarmouth was unusually productive this year; the catch being so great that one of Mr. Batley's boats, after taking on board fourteen lasts, was obliged to throw two lasts overboard.

1801

January 1st. This day being the first of the 19th century, and the day on which the union of Great Britain and Ireland took place, the Durham Militia fired a feu de joie at Yarmouth, and the ships in the Roadstead gave a royal salute and hoisted their new colours in honour of the union.

March 7th. The " St. George," carrying 98 guns, and bearing the flag of Lord Nelson, arrived in the Roadstead.

March 12th. The grand fleet of forty-seven ships of war, with 3000 mariners, under the command of Admiral Sir Hyde Parker in ' the " London," 98 guns, with Lord Nelson as his Vice-Admira1, sailed from Yarmouth, and proceeded, after they had been joined by seven sail of the line in Leith Roads, to Copenhagen to destroy the Danish navy.

March 16th. The " Invincible," 74 guns (built in 1766), Rear-Admiral Totty, on her way to join the grand fleet, got on the ridge near Hasbro' Sand, and remained till daybreak next morning, but had, no sooner floated into deep water than she went down with her captain (J. Lawford), several officers, and about 800 men. By the exertions of Daniel Grigson, master of the cod-smack "Nancy," the Admiral, seven officers, and about 190 of the crew, were saved.

April 14th. Intelligence received at Yarmouth of the destruction of the Danish navy in Copenhagen by the British fleet, on April 2nd, after four hours' fighting. Great rejoicing in this town and country generally.

July 1st. Owing to Lord Nelson's ill health he again landed at the Jetty from the gun-brig "Kite."

November 2nd. The Prince of Orange arrived at Yarmouth from London; and on the 6th sailed in the packet "Diana " for Cuxhaven.

Census taken. Population of Yarmouth, 14,854; with Gorleston and Southtown, 16,573.

The batteries erected on the verge of the beach, and mounted with 32-pounders. The harbor was also defended on each side by two bastions of a mural construction. They were dismounted after the general peace, and guns returned to Woolwich.

1802

Jan. 6th. The Public Library first instituted by a certain number of subscribers. In 1808, the Corporation granted the lease of the present building. The Dutch clock (removed in 1861) was erected on the exterior in 1600, when the building was used as a Dutch Chapel by the Hollanders; was afterwards used as an English Chapel, and previous to the Theatre being built the back premises were converted into a room for dramatic entertainments. New Reading-room opened Feb. 19th, 1859.

May 5th. The town illuminated, on the proclamation of peace.

May 24th. The Duke of Cambridge sailed from Yarmouth in the frigate "Amphion" for Hanover, of which kingdom he was appointed Regent. (See June 13th, 1803).

1802

June 28th. Custom House opened.

July. Rear-Admiral Sir Thomas Troubridge, Bart, and Thomas Jervis, Esq., returned to Parliament.

300 persons impressed, but 250 were afterwards liberated. (See 1805.)

Montgomeryshire and Cheshire Militia left the town.

1803

May 5th. An active press at Yarmouth.

May 16th. Embargo laid on all vessels in the Roads.

June 13th. H.R.H. the Duke of Cambridge and suite left Yarmouth for Norwich. They came in the same frigate which brought Prince William of Gloucester from Cuxhaven, where their Royal Highnesses were nearly being made prisoners by the advanced guard of the French army. Had they remained, there another hour they would have shared the fate of the Hanoverian army. The French General in Holland put an immense number of fishing boats in requisition for the avowed purpose of invading England.

October 5th. The Volunteer Regiments in Norfolk and Norwich resolved to perform permanent duty in Yarmouth in case of an invasion, and on November the 9th two troops of Norfolk Rangers (established 1782), headed by the Marquis Townshend, the Lord Lieutenant, and commanded by Captain Sir M. B. Ffolkes, Bart., and Captain Beauchamp, marched to Yarmouth on permanent duty; also the Norwich and the Fakenham Volunteers.

November 5th. The Lord Lieutenants of the maritime counties received warrants under his Majesty's sign-manual, commanding them, " as there was actual appearance of invasion," to give the necessary orders in pursuance of the late statute, that on the approach of the enemy all waggons and carts, cattle, and stores of corn, likely to fall into their hands, be removed or destroyed, and also that all women and children be likewise removed. The proprietors to be indemnified.

Nov. 7th. Lieut.-Colonel Harvey's battalion of Norwich Volunteers arrived here 'for garrison duty; also the Norfolk Rangers and Norwich and Fakenham Corps.

Nov. 10th. The Yarmouth Volunteer Infantry' received their colours (presented by the Corporation) from the hands of the Mayoress.

Dec. 6th. On the Norwich Volunteers' return to Norwich, this regiment was succeeded in their fortnight's garrison duty by the Yarmouth Volunteer Infantry (550), commanded by Lieut.-Colonel Gould.

Dec. 15th. The Lynn and Freebridge Yeomanry Cavalry, with the Artillery and Riffle Corps, marched through Norwich to Yarmouth, to relieve the Dereham and South Erpingham troops.

Dec. 22nd. The Dereham and Swaffham troops of Yeomanry Cavalry marched through Norwich for Yarmouth, to relieve the Lynn and Freebridge troops; and the Diss, North Walsham, Wells, and Old Buckenham Volunteer Companies of Infantry marched into Yarmouth for a fortnight's Duty.

Dec. 30th. The Hingham and Wymondham troops marched to Yarmouth, to relieve the Swaffham and Dereham troops.

Tower and spire of St. Nicholas' Church removed; re-built in 1807. (See 1806.)

The Militia regiments of the county assembled at Yarmouth and were embodied.

1804

April 4th. The "Antelope," Commodore Sir W.Sydney Smith, the brig "Cruizer," and the cutter "Prince of Wales," arrived at Yarmouth, from the Flushing station, which made an unsuccessful attempt to cut out an armed brig near the Scaw. They were attacked by an armed schooner, and obliged to abandon their enterprise, with the loss of five killed and ten wounded.

April 11th. Rear-Admiral Sir W. Sydney Smith left Yarmouth for Norwich. The hero of St. Jean d'Acre proceeded next day on a tour of the country before accompanying the King of Portugal to Brazil.

May 2nd. The gibbet on which Payne was hung in 1781 taken down by order of the Corporation.

May 14th. Lynn Volunteers and (May 26th) North Walsham Light Infantry, came for a fortnight's training.

May 23rd. Blickling and Gunton Rifle Corps arrived here for a fortnight's garrison duty.

May 25th. A general fast observed. The Shropshire Militia and the Volunteers at Yarmouth (nearly 25,000 men) attended divine service.

May 26th. The sloop "Helena," 20 guns, and on Sept. 4th the brig " Musquito," 18 guns, launched from Mr. J. Preston's yard.

September 6th. Sloop of war " Gygnet," 18 guns, launched from Mr. Nathaniel Palmer's yard.

October 28th. Lord Viscount Chedworth, of Ipswich, died worth £500,000. Thomas Penrice, Esq., surgeon, of Yarmouth, was left a legacy of £20,000 and also residuary legatee, by which he came into possession of at least £300,000.

November 26th. The Corporation and merchants of Yarmouth voted their thanks to Captain Hancock and his officers for capturing the notorious Blackman, who commanded a French privateer of 18 guns, and 98 prisoners were also taken.

Nov. 22nd. The "Romney," 50 guns, which sailed from Yarmouth Roadstead on the 18th with bullocks and vegetables for the blockading fleet off'the Texel, under Admiral Russell, was lost in a dreadful gale of wind on the South Haak Sand. All the officers and crew saved themselves on rafts, but were made prisoners by the Dutch. The officers were afterwards liberated on their parole by the Dutch Admiral Kikkert.

William Gould, Esq., appointed. Lieutenant-Colonel of the 6th (Yarmouth) Norfolk Volunteer Infantry.

Night signals established along the coast, and special constables sworn in at Yarmouth.

Yarmouth Volunteer Infantry embodied for fourteen days' garrison duty.

The Rows first numbered; they formerly bore the names of houses or persons in or near them.

1805

April 27th. Two gun-brigs, 14 guns each, built in Mr. J. Preston's yard, launched.

May 9th. One of the sharpest presses ever remembered in Yarmouth took place. No fewer than 300 persons of the town were impressed, of whom only about 50 were ultimately detained. (See 1802.)

Nov. 7th. Intelligence received of the glorious victory over the combined fleets of France and Spain, off Cape Trafalgar, on the 21st of October, though purchased by the ever-to-be-lamented death of Vice-Admiral Lord Viscount Nelson, who was born at Burnham Thorpe, Norfolk, September 29th, 1758. Congratulatory addresses were voted to his Majesty by Yarmouth; fee de joie fired by the military and volunteers.

Several regiments of Volunteers did garrison duty in the town till relieved by the Shropshire Militia.

1806

April 19th. The frigate "Boreas," 28 guns, launched from Messrs. Stone and Constance's yard; the sloop "Ariel," 18 guns.

June 9th. Vice-Admiral Russell, accompanied by several officers of the North Sea Fleet, stationed at Yarmouth, visited Norwich.

July 26th. French frigate "Ia Guerriere" brought into tho Roadstead by the frigate "Blanche." The former was captured on the 18th, after a desperate action of forty-five minutes; she had. taken eight Greenlandmen and one Yarmouth vessel, all of which she destroyed.

Aug. 14th. Frigate "Comus " launched from Messrs. Constance and Co.'s yard.

Nov. 4th. Hon. E. Harbord (second son of Lord. Suffield) and Stephen Lushington, Esq., returned to Parliament, but on June 25th, 1808, Dr. Lushington vacated his seat in favor of Giffin Wilson, Esq.

An Act of Parliament passed for repairing the Parish Church of Great Yarmouth and re-building the tower belonging to it. (See 1803.)

Southtown Armoury built by Wyatt, at a cost of £15,000. During the war 10,000 stand of arms were arranged in it, after the disposition observed in the Tower of London. After the war the arms were removed to the Tower.

The gun-brig " F'ancy " built in Mr. J. Preston's yard.

1807

May 9th. Hon. E. Harbord and S. Lushington, Esq., returned to Parliament. Votes - H., 627: L, 604; William Jacob, 341; A. Upcher 21.

Feb.17th. Gun-brig "Snipe," with thirty French prisoners on board, wrecked on the Beach. Many of them were drowned, together with part of her crew and some women; in all upwards of sixty. There were several other wrecks, for the wind blew a hurricane, and a drifting snow rendered the highways for a time impassable.

Sep.18th. Captain G. W. Manby, the barrack master at Yarmouth, first succeeded in projecting a line over a stranded vessel; and in the following year (Feb.12th) brought this plan to a successful issue, when seven lives were saved from a vessel 150 yards from the Beach. Parliament rewarded, him at different times with grants amounting to £6000. He was born at Hilgay, Norfolk. Captain Manby, at the age of 88 years, had the satisfaction of knowing that he had. been instrumental in saving upwards of 1000 lives in various parts of the world. by his invention. The two ingenious painters, the Joys, two brothers and sons of a mail guard, owed much of their fame to the patronage and assistance afforded them in their youth by Gaptain Manby.

July 3rd. Mrs. Cooper, relict of the Rev. D. Cooper, of Yarmouth, died. This lady, with an ardent desire to inculcate Christian morality, penned several publications, viz., " Fanny Meadows," " The Daughter," "The School for Wives," and "Exemplary Mother."

July 26th. The fleet under the command of Lord Gambier an6 Vice-Admiral Stanhope (68 pennants in all), sailed. from Yarmouth Roads. Sir W. Sidney Smith sailed in Gambier's Flag ship "Prince of Wales," 98 guns. Soon afterwards was fought the second battle of Copenhagen (Sept. 7th). Most of their prizes were brought to Yarmouth - 64 vessels mounting 1994 guns.

Sept. 7th. Norwich Volunteer Infantry marched to Yarmouth for garrison duty.

Oct. 29th. Several transports lost off Yarmouth and Lowestoft.

Nov. 14th. Privateer " Le Decide " brought into this port by the frigate "L'Amiable." She had made no less than 30 prizes.

Nov. 2nd. Louis XVIII. (under the title of Count de Lille) landed at Yarmouth from a Swedish frigate. The Dukes d'Angouleme and De Berri, and several French noblemen, came with him. This was the first time since the memorable battle of Poictiers, in 1856, that a King of France had, been in England.

Dec. A telegraph erected upon the hill at Thorpe communicating with Yarmouth. An order from the Admiralty Office in London was received at Yarmouth in seventeen minutes.

North Gate removed to widen the roadway. It was flanked with square towers of curious workmanship, and was said to have been erected at the expense of persons employed in the revolting office of interring the dead during the plague.

144 dead bodies washed ashore in this vicinity after a heavy gale.

A new peal of ten bells put in the tower of St. Nicholas' Church, and first rung out on May 2nd, 1808. Cost £1161 3s. 4d.

1808

Jan. 10th. Lord Hutchinson and Lord Gower landed here from the " Bellette " sloop-of-war, from St. Petersburg.

March 30th. Silver eel, 6ft. long and 21in. in girth, and weighing 42lbs., caught a mile below Yarmouth bridge in the Harbour.

The 3rd. Eastern Division of the Norfolk Local Militia, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Gould, disbanded.

May 10th. Expedition, consisting of 105 transports, under Admiral Keats, left the Roadstead for the Baltic and the protection of Sweden. Sir John Moore commanded the troops. He sailed in the "Mars," and Major-Generals Paget and Murray in the " Audacious."

Aug. 20th. First pile of the present Jetty driven, and finished building and opened to the public January 18th, 1809, at a cost of £5000; 450 feet long and platform 21 feet in width. Extended 60 feet in 1846 at a cost of about £900, and again 60 feet in 1870 at a further cost of £359 10s. Constructed on the site of one built in 1560.

Charles Townshend, Lord Bayning, High Steward of the Borough.

The Shropshire and Cambridgeshire Militia left the town.

1809

Jan. 28th. Owing to a rapid thaw and the inundation of the meadows, barges proceeding from Norwich to Yarmouth were obliged to return, because the men were unable to find the channel of the river.

Oct 25th. Fiftieth anniversary of George III.'s reign celebrated in Yarmouth as a jubilee.

1464 lbs. of fresh salmon from Scotland landed in one day and sold in Yarmouth market, owing to the embargo on all shipping.

A very productive herring fishery.

1810

May 10th. Vice-Admiral Sir J. Saumarez's fleet left the Roadstead for the Baltic - the " Victory" (100 guns) and seven other sail of the line.

May 20th. The Right Hon. Charles Lord Bayning, of Honingham Hall, a Privy Councillor and High Steward of Yarmouth, died in London, aged 81 years.

Aug. Yarmouth Annual Races first established by the officers of the Berkshire Militia, which regiment shortly afterwards left the town.

Nov. 2nd. The Beach from Yarmouth to Wells covered with wrecks and dead bodies after a heavy gale. Another gale and high tide on the 10th, and many vessels and lives lost.

Nov. 14th. Gustavus Adolphus IV., ex-King of Sweden, who had abdicated his throne, landed on the Beach from the sloop " Tartar." He assumed the title of Count Guttorp, and afterwards proceeded to London.

Mrs. Hunter died, aged 102.

By the Paving Aet, provision was made against placing materials on the Quays or other public places for a longer time than necessary for removing and housing the same.

1811

March 28th. Count Guttorp sailed from Yarmouth on his return to the Continent.

Census taken. Population of Yarmouth, 17,977 with Gorleston and Southtown, 19,691.

The Royal Hospital or Asylum built by Government at a cost of £120,000. F'oundation stone laid by Admiral Rilly Douglas in 1809. (See 1815.) The building was erected by Mr. Peto (father of Sir Samuel Morton Peto) from designs by H. Pakington, Esq., for a Naval Hospital. The rooms in front are 150 feet long, and the whole area within the Asylum is about fifteen acres, and the interior arrangements are admirable, to say nothing

of the spacious court-yard to the north. The eleven acres of ground on the east cost the Government £11,000 in 1875.

1812

March 13th. The South Gate taken down and sold for £26 to Mr. Jonathan Poppy. It presented, two massive round towers, flanking a square curtain, beneath which was the arch.

July 27th. General Viscount Cathcart's embassy to the Court of Russia left the Roadstead in the frigate " Aquilon." Lord Walpole, secretary of Legation to Lord Cathcart, sailed in the " Calipso" to the head.-quarters of the Russian army.

Oct. 6th. Edmund Knowles Lacon and William Loftus, Esqs., returned to Parliament. Votes - Lacon, 607; Loftus, 387; G. Wilsoa, 329.

Oct. 26th. Tremendous gale, and eight vessels driven ashore in the vicinity.

A. Royals died, aged 108.

1813

Feb. A high wind blew down and completely demolished the Conventual Church at Gorleaton, dedicated to St. Nicholas.

Feb. 18th. Gorleston steeple (about 100 feet high), which stood near the Haven's mouth as an immemorial sea-mark, was blown down in a gale.

March 24th. Volunteer Corps of Infantry disbanded, and deposited their arms in store on the establishment of the local Militia.

April 15th. Prince of Orange landed at the Jetty.

April 29th. H.R.H. the Duke of Cumberland arrived at Yarmouth, and embarked on board the frigate "Nymphen."

July 4th. News of Lord Wellington's victory over the French at Vittoria, in Spain, received hero with great rejoicings.

1813

Aug. 10th. First steam barge proceeded from Yarmouth to Norwich, at the rate of five miles per hour.

Sept. 29th. Regent-street formed and opened at a cost of £30,000. Before the erection of this street there was no carriage-way through the town except by Fuller's Hill on the north, and South Street on the south, the latter of which was widened in 1866.

Nov. 14th. Great rejoicing at Yarmouth on the splendid victories gained over the French in Spain and Germany.

William III. landed at the Jetty.

The Lancasterian or British School erected; enlarged in 1861.

North Mayo Militia left the town, and the Wexford Militia the following year.

John Hannah, a, miserable old. man, upwards of seventy years of age, executed for the murder of his wife. He was the last person hung in the town.

1814

March 11th. Henry Joddrell, Zsq., Bayfield HIall, many years Recorder and Representative of Yarmouth, Chairman of the Norfolk Quarter Sessions, died in London.

April 21st. Restoration of Louis XVIII. to the throne of France. The inhabitants of Yarmouth subscribed £1106 8s. 6d., for providing a grand dinner to all the inhabitants who chose to partake of it. Fifty-eight tables were spread in the open, air along the Hall and South Quays, at which 8023 persons were seated, and made an, excellent dinner of roast beef and plum pudding. A man personating Neptune in a car, attended by Tritons and other deities, paraded the town, headed by a band of music. In the evening a large bonfire was made on the North Denes, in which the effigy of Napoleon the First was consumed amidst much rejoicing, and in the presence of nearly 30,000 persons.

July 6th. Peace proclaimed at Yarmouth; Mayor and Corporation went in procession, and at night the town was illuminated.

July 14th. First division of West Norfolk Militia landed. at Yarmouth from Edinburgh and marched to Norwich, and joined their Colonel, the Earl of Orford.

Aug. 11th. The Hon. John Wodehouse proposed, and T. W. Coke, Esq., seconded, resolutions recommending that a subscription should be opened for erecting a monument at Yarmouth to the memory of the late Lord Nelson. Lord and Lady Wodehouse, the Hon. Colonel Wodehouse, and Mr and Miss Coke, headed the list with £700. The Corporation of Norwich subscribed £280. (See Aug. 15th, 1817.)

Nov. 30th. First amateur concert given in Yarmouth.

1815

Jan. 24th. A sea-eagle shot at Rollesby, which measured. from tip to tip of its wings 7ft. 6in.

March 29th. The Nelson Monument Committee at Thetford, after inspecting forty-four beautiful plans and designs, selected an Athenian Doric column, sent by William Wilkin, Esq., architect, of London, a native of Norwich, and. author of "Magna Graecia." Nearly £7000 was subscribed.

May 10th. Sharp press for seamen at Yarmouth.

John Thomas Townshend, Viscount Sydney, High Steward of the Borough. He died in 1831.

600 wounded men from Waterloo lodged in the Naval Hospital. (See 1811.)

1816

Feb. 16th. Very high tide, the sea and river meeting over the South Denes. A similar event had not occurred since February 3rd, 1791.

Feb. 19th. Corporation petitioned Parliament for a continuance of the Property Tax.

Feb. 26th. Mr. Incledon, Master Taylor, and Mr. Collyer gave a miscellaneous performance at the Theatre Royal, entitled 'The Minstrels,' or a Tour through England and Ireland. Prices - Lower boxes, 4s.; upper ditto, 3s.; pit, 2s. 6d.; and, gallery, 1s.

Nov. 2nd. Thomas Penrice, Esq., of Yarmouth, to whom the late Lord Chedworth, of Ipswich, left the bulk of his immense property, (died at Narford Hall, the seat of A. Fountaine, Esq., his son-in-law. (See October 28th, 1804.)

l817

Jan. 1st. The sum of £1000 subscribed at Yarmouth to relieve and employ the laboring poor; 460 were employed. to form roads to the Bath House, Jetty, &c.

Feb. 4th. The Corporation voted a loyal address to the Prinee Regent, expressive of their abhorrence of the attack made upon his Royal person on his return from opening Parliament on the 28th ult.Presented at the levee by Isaac Preston, Esq. (Mayor), accompanied by the High Steward and the Members for the Borough.

Feb. 13th. The new silver coinage of crowns, half-crowns, shillings, and. sixpences, exchanged for old, ones, at the Town Hall.

April 4th, Good Friday morning. Explosion on board the Norwich and. Yarmouth steamer, ten persons killed and five injured, just as she was leaving the Foundry Bridge, Norwich. She had 22 men, women, and children on board. £350 raised for relief. These steamboats were first employed on August 10th, 1813.

June 5th. The celebrated. Mr. Betty performed at the Theatre in the 'Iron Chest', as "Sir Edmard Mortimer; and as " Frislam Fickle " in 'The Weather Cock'.

June 11th. Mr. Matthews appeared at the Theatre Royal as " Goldfinch " in the 'Road to Ruin'; and as " Somno," in the Sleap Walker. On the 12th, as " Sir David Dundee " in 'Ways and Means', "Chip " in 'A Chip of the Old Block, and " Buskin " in Killing no Murder'. On the 16th, as "Rover." in 'Wild Oats'; and in the 'Adventures of a Mail Coach.

June 23rd. Munden appearerl at tha Theatre RoyaI as "Sir Able Handy" in 'Speed the Plough', and as "Crack " in the 'Turnpike Gate. On the 25th, as " Old Rapid " in a 'Cure for the Heartache', and as "Dozey" in Past Ten o'clock. On the 26th, as "Sir Anthony Absolute" in The Rivals,, and as "Sam Dabbs" in Who's Who? On the 28th, as

"Bonus" in Laugh When You Can, as " Nipperkin " in the 'Rival Soldier; and " Lazarillo " in Two Strings T Your Bow.

Aug. 15th. First stone of Nelson Monument laid by Colonel Wodehouse. The column. is 144 feet high, ascended by a flight of 217 steps. The architect was Mr. William Wilkin, R.A., a Norfolk man. There was a grand civic, military, and masonic procession from the Town Hall. After the ceremony, the Mayor (Isaac Preston, Esq.) gave a dinner to the company; and in the evening he gave a grand ball to 350 of the elite, at the Town Hall.

Aug. 20th. The great Edward Kean appeared at the Theatre Royal in 'Richard the Third', when nothing but full prices were taken - Lower Boxes, 5s.; Green, "or Slips" 4s.; Pit, 3s.; Gallery, ls.- and part of the Pit taken into the Boxes and part of the Gallery railed off for the use of the Pit. Free list suspended during the engagement. On the 21st, Mr. Kean took the character of "Sir. Giles Overreach" in 'New Way to Pay Old Debts. On the 22nd, in Othello. On September 5th, "Shylock" in the 'Merchant of Venice'. On September 6th (Mr. Kean's benefit) he appeared. as " Octavia " in the Mountaineer'a, and as " Paul " in Paul and Virginia'.

Nov. 19th. The remains of Princess Charlotte interred at Windsor. In Yarmouth the bells tolled, shops closed, and the day otherwise solemnly observed.

Dec. 3rd. The Corporation voted addresses of condolence to the Prince Regent and Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg on the death of Princess Charlotte.

Dec. 31st. At the Concert-room, Mr. Matthews, the celebrated Irish Comedian, appeared in the entertainment of the Union, of the English, Irish, and Scotch characters.

Between 7000 and 8000 lasts of Herrings taken by 193 boats.

An Act passed to continue two former Acts for widening and amending the road from Yarmouth Bridge to Gorleston.

The Rev. Fisher Watson, M.A., elected minister of St. George's Chapel, on the death of the Rev. S. L. Cooper in June. On Aug. 9th, 1821, the Rev. John Homfray, and April 16th, 1833, the Rev. Mark Waters, were appointed. at yearly salaries of £100.

1818

Jan. 19th. £6000 subscribed for aiding a plan to extend the navigation of the River Waveney from Bungay to Diss by the inhabitants of Yarmouth a~ a meeting at the New Hall.

March 4th. Several ships driven ashore in a heavy gale from the south-east.

June 1st. Miss Bryne sustained the part of "Adela" at the Theatre Royal, in the Haunted Tower. On the 2nd, in Love in a Village as "Rosella," and in No Song Ao Supper the part of "Margaretta." On the 4th, "Rosina" in Rosina, and " Leonora" in the Padlock. On the 6th, "Lilla" in Siege of Belgrade, and "Virginia" in Paul and Virginia.

June 8th. Mr. Bartley appeared at the Theatre Royal as "Sir John Falstaff" in Henry IV. On the 9th, as "Solas "in Every One Has His Fault, and " Michael', in the Adopted Child. On the 11th, " Sir John Falstaff" in the Merry Wives of Windsor. On the 13th, as " Governor Heartall" in the Soldier's Daughter.

June 19th. Hon. T. W. Anson and C. F. Rumbold, Esq,, returned to Parliament. It was a three days' poll, and one of the severest contests ever known in the Borough. Anson polled 780 ; Rumhold, 760; E. K. Lacon, Esq., 651; General Loftus, 612.

Aug. 3rd. Mr. Blanchard appeared at the Theatre Royal.

Sept. 4th. Miss O'Neil appeared at the Theatre Royal as "Belvidere " in Venice Preserved. On the 5th as "Juliet" in Romeo and Juliet. On the 7th as " Mrs. Haller."

Sept. 30th. Lord Viscount Anson died in London, aged 57; and the newly-elected Member of Parliament succeeded to the title.

Oct. 3rd. Sir Edmund Lacon, Knt., of Great Yarmouth; Thomas Hare, Esq., of Stow Hall; and Edward Stracey, Esq., of Rackheath Hall, created Baronets.

John Rennie, Esq., engineer to the Haven Commissioners, drew up a report for improving the Bar and Haven. On the 4th of October, 1821, died in London, aged 64.

Yarmouth Savings Bank established. The deposits in 1843 amounted to £80,246 19s. 7d., belonging to 2550 depositors, 67 charities and friendly societies.

Nearly 100 vessels building in our shipyards.

The gun-brig "Havoc" built in Mr. Stone's yard.

Borough Gaol enlarged and House of Correction added; it was strengthened in 1853. The original built in 1261.

1819

Feb. 15th. The Hon. George Anson unanimously elected Member of Parliament for the Borough (there being no other candidate) in the room of his brother, Lord Viscount Anson.

April. Velocipedes or Pedestrian Hobby-horses used this year. A person could walk from eight to ten miles an hour on them. Like the Kaleidoscopes, they proved only "a nine-days' wonder," till 1872, when they came again in to general use.

June 1st. Mr. Thomas Sutton (as surveyor) died on the top of the Nelson Monument, while giving directions. Aged 66 years.

June 14th. Mr. Edmund Kean again appeared at the Theatre as "Brutus," in Brutus; and on the 15th as " Mortimer" in the Iron Chest.

July 18th. Mr. N. B. Palmer presented with a piece of plate (an epergne), value 100 guineas, for his exertions in the election and firm support of his principles, which seated the Hon. G. Anson and C. E. Rumbold, Esq., as members for the Borough.

Sept. 6th. The celebrated Young appeared at the Theatre Royal in Hamlet.

Paxton's "Picture of Great Yarmouth" published, illustrated with engravings of public buildings.

1820

Jan. 29th. Death of George III., in the 82nd year of his age and 60th year of his reign. King George IV. was proclaimed at Yarmouth with much ceremony and rejoicing.

Feb. 28th. Parliament dissolved ; and on the 10th of March, after four days' sharp contest, the Hon. George Anson and C. E. Rumhold, Esq., were returned to Parliament for the Borough. The Hon. G. Anson polled 754; C. E. Rumbold, Esq., 752; Lient. - General John Michell, 612; and J. H. Stracey, Esq., 612 votes.

March 13th. Petition presented by F. Wodehouse Esq., to the House of Commons from the owners and occupiers of land in the vicinity of Yarmouth,. praying for a repeal of the Malt-tax, and a modified tax on property.

April 19th. Frigate "Boreas," 28 guns, launched. from Messrs. Stone and Constance's yard.

July 19th. Coronation day of George IV. at Westminster Abbey, which auspicious event was celebrated at Yarmouth by a public dinner at the Town Hall; bonfires, bullock roasting, fireworks, and other rejoicings also marked the occasion.

Aug. 15th. A grand Musical Festival at the Town Hall. The next morning selections from the Messiah were performed at St. Nicholas' Church;. on Wednesday at the Town Hall; and again on the Thursday following the entire first part of the Creation was executed at the Church, with two miscellaneous acts selected from the Requiem, Mount of Olives, Judas Macccabeus, Israel in Egypt, and other esteemed compositions. The Church presented a very brilliant appearance from the number of lamps and candles with which the orchestra. (expressly built for the occasion) and the other parts of the edifice were decorated. The principal. vocalists were Miss Venes and Mrs. Salmon, Messrs. Vaughan, French Terrail, and Bellamy. Prices: Single admission to St. Nicholas' Church, 7s.; ditto to the Town Hall, l0s. 6d. Entrance to Church by small east door. Among the eminent professors who aided in the festival was Lindley, the celebrated violoncello performer; Mr. Eager, and his principal second Mr. Cooper, conducted the instrumental band, and Mr Buck presided at the organ.

Aug. 20th. Mrs. Bartley cited Collins' Ode to the Passions, at the Theatre Royal.

Sept. 6th. Mrs. Davidson made her appearance at the Theatre Royal in the Jealous Wife, as "Mrs. Oakley."

Nov. 3rd. Sir Edmund Lacon, Bart., died at Yarmouth, universally regretted, aged 69 years. He was the senior Alderman of the Borough.

Nov. 4th. Tremendous gale. A great number of vessels foundered in the roadstead, and also many came ashore near Yarmouth.

1821

Dec. 23rd. A fine new East Indiaman, the "Indian," 400 tons, totally wrecked off Yarmouth. The crew of 20 saved. Value of ship and cargo, £10,000.

Census taken. Population of Yarmouth, 18,040; with Gorleston and Southtown, 19,968. Houses

inhabited, 3981; inhabited by families, 4318; uninhabited, 157 ; building, 20 - total, 8476.

1822

Jan. 31st. George IV. arrived, and his vessel was anchored in the Roads.

July 29th. Samuel Tolver, Esq., elected Town Clerk. He was succeeded by Henry Palmer, Esq., on June 5th, 1848; John Clowes, Esq., on Nov. 26th, 1850 ; and Charles Cory, Esq., on Nov. 9th, 1851. (See June 9th, 1869.)

Oct. 14th. The Revenue cutter "Ranger" lost at sea.

Exported from the Port of Yarmouth-flour, 105,377 sacks; barley, malt, oats, beans, peas, rye, and wheat, 298,147 quarters.

J. Matchett, of Lakenham, published "The Norfolk and Norwich Remembrancer and Vade Mecum."

Oct. 21st and 22nd. Miscellaneous Concert, under the direction of Mr Sippe, given at the theatre Royal. The principal vocalists were Mrs. Salmon and the Misses Sapis and Beale. Leader of the band, Mr. Eager.

1823

March 3rd. Samuel Hurst, Esq., died at Southtown.

Exported from the Port of Yarmouth-flour, 126,763 sacks; barley, malt, oats, beans, peas, rye, and wheat, 264,546 quarters.

Messrs. Grout & Co.'s Silk Crape Factory erected.

Admiralty Sessions for trial of Pirates last held in Yarmouth.

Porpoise found on the Beach - 7 feet long, and weighed 4 cwt.

Masonic Hall erected in the Gaol Paved Row.

James Sayer, son of a Yarmouth block-maker, a celebrated caricaturist, and author of many satirical poems suitable to the political topics of the times, died in London.

1824

Gas Works constructed; enlarged in 1862 and 1864, and new additional works afterwards erected. About five miles of the main iron pipe were laid in the streets, and on Dec. 6th the street lamp, 150 in number, were first lighted.

Luke Waller died, aged 105 years.

The number of vessels of all classes registered at the Custom House amounted to 549.

1825

Sept. 3rd. Miss Crammer appeared at the Theatre, Royal, and on September 8th Mr. Chippendale.

Oct. 11th. A Roman Catholic Chapel, in George Street (the first built in the town), finished, and consecrated by the Rev. Joseph Tate.

The mackerel brought to Yarmouth realised £17,000.

River overflowed the Quays and entered the houses and stores.

1826

May 15th. Lord Anson and C. E. Rumbold, Esq., presented with the freedom of the town, and returned to Parliament June 9th. Votes - R., 649; A., 645 ; Sir E. K. Lacon, 250; Lord Suffleld, 250.

May 25th. The old Crane on South Quay blown down during a heavy gale of wind, and a new one erected at a cost of £1400.

Mariners' Chapel built by G. Palmer, Esq., service previously having been held in a vessel named the "Ark," which fell into decay, and so became use-less.

"Historical and Topographical Notices of Great Yarmouth and its Environs," by John Henry Druery, published. The work was dedicated to the Right Hon. George William, Lord Stafford, Baron Stafford and Baronet, of Costessy Park, Norfolk.

1827

February 6th. Mary Welch died, aged seventy-three years, leaving 102 children and grand-children.

Body snatching discovered in St. Nicholas' Churchyard, and the town thrown into great consternation.

1828

Mr. David Service, the Yarmouth poet, died.

1829

Suspension Bridge opened. It was made chiefly of iron, and thrown across the river Bure by Robert Cory, Esq., under the powers of an Act of Parliament passed in the year 1827. Bridge cost about £4000.

1830

Feb. 8th. Intense frost; river frozen as far down as the Public Library.

July 31st. Hon. Colonel G. Anson and C. E. Rumbold, Esq., returned to Parliament. Votes A., 946; R., 945; T. E. Campbell, 754; H. Preston, 751.

C. J. Palmer, Esq., elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London, and in 1838 made his first contribution to Archaeology by printing "Illustrations of Domestic Architecture in England during the reign of Queen Elizabeth," as exemplified in the interior of the residence of his father, John Danby Palmer, Esq., at Yarmouth. In 1847 he published, from the original MS. then first discovered, "A Booke of the Foundacion and Antiquitye of the Towne of Great Yarmouthe," written by Manship the elder, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, followed in 1853 by "The History of Great Yarmouth," by Henry Manship the younger, written in 1619, and never previously published. The notes by the Editor appended to these Works were supplemented in 1856. by "A Continuation of Manship's History," brought down to that period by his own pen. He also edited in 1873 "Memorials of the Family of Hurry."

1831

Launches: March 8th, schooner "Sea Witch;" 15th, brig "Ocean;" Aug. 1st, brig "Earl Grey."

May 2nd. Hon. G. Anson and C. E. Rumbold, Esq., returned to Parliament.

July 7th. First stone of St. Peter's Church laid and finished building and consecrated August 26th, 1833. Cost, £12,000.

Sept. 12th. Mr. Power, of Covent Garden, appeared at the Theatre Royal, as "Colonel O'Dillon" in the Married Lover.

Census taken. Population of Yarmouth 21,115; with Gorleston and Southtown, 23,231.

St. Mary's Church, Southtown, erected. Site presented by the Earl of Lichfield ; cost, raised by subscription, about £3000.

1832

April 3rd. The Hon. and Rev. E. Pellew appointed Chaplain of St. Nicholas' Church, at £40 per annum. (Sec 1835).

April 17th. Mr. Wm. Hazard died, aged 72 years.

May 27th. Messrs. Grout's Silk Factory burnt down. Present one erected in the same place. (See 1823).

Oct. 11th. Russian Horn Band Concert at Town Hall.

Dec. 11th. The Hon. G. Anson and C. E. Rumbold, Esq., returned to Parliament, after the passing of the Reform Bill.

Edward Pellew, Admiral Viscount Exmouth, High Steward of the Borough.

District Visiting Society established, and failed for want of support ; but another attempt was made to re-establish it April 10th, 1861.

Yarmouth Glee Society gave their first concert.

1833 to 1835 - By Municipal Reform Act, the rest of Gorleston parish added to Yarmouth Borough.

1833

Launches: Jan. 18th, schooner "Cornelia;" May 6th, brig "Hudson;" June 12th, schooner "Abeona; " July 21st, brig "Margaret ; " same year the barque "Harmony;" Dec. 10th, schooner "Fairy Queen ; " and 12th, brig "Pioneer."

Bishop of Norwich inspected the plate at St. Nicholas' Church and St. George's Chapel.

Horatio Walpole, Earl of Orford, High Steward of the Borough.

1834

Jan. 15th. Divine Service performed in the Chancel of St. Nicholas' Church for the first time.

Jan. 24th. Brig "Pioneer," of Yarmouth, stranded near the Dungeness-light.

May 12th. Proprietary Grammar School at Southtown opened; the school cost £1,500. It was demolished in July, 1858, to make room for the Goods Station of the East Suffolk Railway.

June 16th. Yarmouth and Southtown Ferry opened.

Launches: May 13th, brig "Alexander;" June 21st, schooner "Racer; " Sept. 11th, schooner "Maria;" 17th, brig " Vivid;" and Oct. 16th, schooner " Nora Creina."

An inquiry opened at the Tolhouse Hall, before J. H. Hogg and J. Buckle, Esqs., two of her Majesty's Commissioners, respecting the state of the Yarmouth Corporation. After nineteen days' inquiry, it was adjourned sine die. The evidence adduced was published the same year by Mr. Henry Barrett.

Aug. 1st. First Annual Roads Regatta held.

Fort removed.

1835

Jan. 7th. Thomas Baring and W. M. Praed, Esqs., returned to Parliament.

Jan. 23rd. Lord Walpole and E. Wodehouse, Esq., returned to Parliament.

April 7th. The " Baltic," "Venus,' and "Wellington," left the Harbor with 200 emigrants for Canada.

Oct. 6th. Samuel Brock, a Yarmouth beachman, with a crew, went off in the yawl "Increase" to the rescue of the crew of a Spanish ship, about twelve miles from land. They reached the vessel, and on returning (in a squall) the yawl was capsized, and nine men were drowned. Brook, the only surviving one, after battling with the waves for seven hours, was safely taken on board the brig "Betsy" at 1 a.m. the next morning, and put ashore at Lowestoft.

The custom of electing Mayors by an inquest abolished. They were elected previous to this date on September 29th.

Scheme projected for supplying the Town with Fresh Water by means of a Reservoir on the high lands at Burgh Castle, but unsupported.

The Hon. and Rev. Edward Pellew, fourth son of Admiral Lord Viscount Exmouth, appointed to the incumbency of St. Nicholas' Church, on the resignation of the Rev. Mr. Turner.

The two stuffed figures representing John and Betty Goblett, annually exhibited in front of Tolhouse Hall, prohibited being placed there.

Capital Jurisdiction abolished.

1836

William Barth, Esq., elected Mayor on January 1st and November 9th.

Feb. 27th. Brig "Isis "wrecked on the South Beach..

The History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk, including Great Yarmouth," by Mr. William White, of Sheffield published; second edition in 1845.

The last Market Cross removed.

Thomas William Anson, Earl of Lichfleld, High Steward of the Borough.

Great storm, twenty-three vessels stranded on Yarmouth Beach.

1837

Nov. 12th. Captain William Watts died, aged 70 years.

Dec. 2nd. Brig " Veleria " launched from Mr. Lubbock's yard.

First stone of the Wesleyan Chapel, Regent Road, laid. The building cost £4,200.

On Queen Victoria Ascending the Throne, C. E. Rumbold, Esq., was re-seated in Parliament, and the election of W. Wilshere, Esq., secured as his colleague.

G. D. Palmer, Esq., appointed as a Magistrate.

1838

Aug. 28th. William Wilshere, Esq., again returned to Parliament.

The Workhouse opened. Cost up to 1860, about £10,000.

Sergeant John Wright died, aged 110 years.

'The last of the Town Gates (Pudding) pulled down.

Yarmouth Hospital founded, mainly through the exertions of Mr. Wm. Steward, and completed in 1839.

Crew of ten hands drowned from the fishing lugger "Walter and Ann."

1839

Feb. 14th. Brig "James " of Yarmouth lost off the coast of Scotland.

March 7th. A tremendous hurricane, and the streets and rows were strewn with bricks and debris from the roofs of houses. Much damage was done.

September 25th. Arthur Beevor, Esq., died, aged 82 years.

Launches: June 13th, schooner "Rob Roy;" Aug. 29th, schooner "George Lord;" Oct. 2nd, brig "Elizabeth ;" and Nov. 11th, schooner "Star."

1840

J. Clowes, Esq., presented with the silver medal of the Lifeboat Association for personal exertions rendered in the November gale.

John W. Shelly and Wm. Johnson, Esqs., were appointed Magistrates.

Gorleston National Schools erected.

1841

March 22nd. First stone of the Victoria Building laid.

June 29th. C. E. Rumbold and W. Wilshere, Esqs. returned to Parliament.

Nov. 18th. The barque "Iron Duke" came ashore, and sunk near the Britannia Pier. The exact spot cannot be found, but some of our oldest inhabitants assert it was opposite the steps in front of Britannia Terrace.

Launches: March 17th, the brig "Norfolk Lass;" and May 24fli, the barque "Maria Soanes."

Richard Hammond, J F. Costerton, E. H. L. Preston, J. C. Smith, and W. Yetts, Esqs., were appointed as Magistrates.

Sir E. Lacon and Sons endeavored to make an Artesian well on their premises, but an accident to the pipes after boring 600 feet caused the undertaking to be abandoned.

Census taken. Population, 24,529 - 10,730 males and 13,529 females; Gorleston and Southtown making an addition of 3779-total, 28,038. Of the in-habitants of Yarmouth, 3340 were not born in Yarmouth, and 13,430 were above twenty years of age - 5515 males and 7915 females. Gorleston comprised 3201 acres of land, and had 6223 houses ; of the latter, 5408 were considered in Yarmouth, 164 were uninhabited, and 61 building.

Lifeboat Station first established at Caister.

Deaths : John Berney Crome. - August 18th, Giles Borrett, Esq., M.D.

1842

The present Hospital School erected on the site of the one built in 1278.

The duties levied on vessels entering the Port and discharging cargoes from the Roadstead amounted to £10,074 17s.

Police Court, Station House, and detention cells added to the Town Hall.

Corn Exchange, Regent Street, attached to the Commercial Club-house, opened by a company, to 'whom they both belonged. Pulled (Town in January, 1871, for the purpose of building the new Post Office.

1843

Aug. 3rd. Children's Hospital School opened after its re-erection.

Oct. 15th. Sarah Martin, the prison visitor, died; and in 1858 a memorial window to Her memory was put in St. Nicholas' Church. She was born in 1791, at Caister, and left an orphan at an early age.

The Round Tower near the hospital built ; ascended by a flight of 42 stairs. It was built by the merchants and shipowners, as an observatory tower, at a cost of £150. It was afterwards appropriated to the use of the Hospital.

1844

May 1st. Railway between Norwich and Yarmouth opened, and the event was marked with great festivity and rejoicing. Messrs. Grissell and Peto contracted for the work at £10,000 per mile. Previous to this, steam packets plied twice a day on the Yare, to and from Norwich and Yarmouth.

Oct. Fish market erected and opened on the site of the old one.

Nov. 18th. Mrs. Harriet Chandler murdered in her shop in Howard-street by Yarham, who was tried at Norwich on March 27th, 1846, and executed there on April 11th.

Dec. 13th. Paget's Brewery, North Quay, pulled down.

Rev. Henry Mackenzie, incumbent of Bermondsey, appointed to the incumbency of St. Nicholas' Church, but resigned in July, 1848, having the vicarage of St. Martin's-in-the-Fields, Westminster, conferred upon him. On the 15th of February, 1870, the Town Council voted an address of congratulation on his being appointed Suffragan Bishop of Nottingham, which was presented at the Town Hall, April 1st. This was the first appointment of a Suffagan Bishop in England for 200 years.

The Naval Hospital converted into a Lunatic Asylum. The building was re-modelled in 1863, and 37 new wards added, by Mr. G. Tyrrell. Eighty inmates were received the same year (Sept) from Haslar, making a total of 169. (See 1811).

The Mackerel exported realised this year £l4,500.

Gorleston Museum, containing many works of art curiosities, antiquities, &c., established.

Her Majesty Queen Victoria passed through the Roadstead, on her way from Scotland, within a short distance of the shore. The Beach was lined with spectators, and several pleasure boats went off close to the Royal yacht to testify their loyalty.

1845

Jan. 20th. Schooner "John" of Jersey stranded on the South Beach.

Jan. 26th. The yawl "Phoenix" and seven lives lost. Meeting convened on the 29th to relieve the widows and orphans left destitute.

April 16th. First stone of Unitarian Chapel, Middlegate Street, laid. Opened October 13th. Built on the site of the Old Meeting House.

May 2nd. Fall of the Suspension Bridge. 400 persons precipitated into the water, of whom 79 were drowned.

Sept. 24th. Mr. Henry Teasdel's warehouses destroyed by fire.

Gorleston Wesleyan Chapel re-built.

Yarmouth exported 327,000 quarters of corn; and in 1855, 258,000 quarters.

1846

County Court first held at Yarmouth.

Steamer " Enterprise " seized- for smuggling tobacco, and the engineer fined £100.

The Sea Wall in front of Britannia Terrace erected by C. Cory, Esq. Cost £2000.

June 17th. The schooner "Ann and Jane "launched from Mr. King's yard.

July 29th. Lieutenant-Colonel Arthur Lennox and O. Cooper Esq., returned to Parliament.

Aug. 3lst. Jewish Synagogue, in Row 42, consecrated.

Nov. 29th. Cart load of hay burned on the Hall Quay.

Deaths: June 6th, Captain H. Barrett, ballast-master. - Dec. 24th, Admiral Sir George Parker, K.C.B.

1848

April 8th. The brig "Agenoria" wrecked on the North Beach.

May 17th. - Address of Loyalty presented to her Majesty by the Mayor.

June 30th. A Bill brought into Parliament depriving the Freemen of Yarmouth of their votes. The number on the Register was 1,106. Only such householders as were on the Register allowed to vote at the ensuing election,, when J. Saunders and C.E. Rumbold, Esqs., were returned to Parliament.

Aug. St. Nicholas' Church re-opened after restoration.

Sept. 22nd. Richardson's Rock Band Concert at the Town Hall.

Oct. 7th. Mr. Norman's warehouse, in Blind Middle Street, burnt down.

Lord Fairfax, with a large retinue, arrived in the town.

Deaths: Feb. 26th, at Southampton, Rev. H. G. Maul, formerly curate of St. Nicholas' Church.- Sept. 1st. Rev. Alexander Creak.- Nov. 20th, James Gidney, Esq., at Southtown.- Dec. 9th, John Lacon, Esq., at Hopton.- Dec. 27th, James Norton Sherrington, Esq.

1849

Jan. 11th. Fishing boat "William Tell," of Yarmouth (and crew), lost off North Foreland.

Feb. 12th. Stone coffin, containing a perfect skeleton wrapped in hempen sackcloth, discovered in the north wall of St. Nicholas' Church.

Sept. 18th. Mr. John Driscoll buried in the Roman Catholic Cemetery; this was the first interment there.

Nov. 15th. General Thanksgiving Day for Deliverance from Cholera.

The remains of Bishop Stanley landed at the Crane Quay.

The new Bridge crossing the River Yare, and connecting Southtown with Yarmouth, commenced. Cost £50,000, including the site. 2,600 tons of stone and about 300 tons of iron were used in the construction, the two leaves of iron weighing about 45 tons each. (See 1427).

1850

Jan. 28th. Parliamentary and Financial Reform Meeting held at the Corn Hall.

March 31st. Mr. Waters' Mill burned down.

Sept. 5th. Primitive Methodist Chapel opened. The Schoolroom adjoining was opened Oct. 29th, 1855, and cost about £450. (See Aug. 3rd, 1874, and June 22nd, 1875).

Sept. St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church completed. Cost £10,000.

St. Peter's National Schools erected.

Deaths : March 21st, William Glenister, Esq., architect.- March 24th, Rev. G. S. Barlow, rector of Burgh. - June 7th, Capt. Larke, R.N. - July 11th, J. Pritchard, Esq., surgeon.

1851

Feb. 22nd. Sailors Riot for advance of wages. 11th Hussars sent from Norwich to suppress it. Eighteen persons taken prisoners.

The Duke of Northumberland awarded Mr James Beeching 100 guineas for the Best Model of a Lifeboat. There were 280 competitors for the-prize.

Census taken. The returns were as follow : - Population of Yarmouth, 11,867 males; 15,014 females; total 26,881 - 321 males included being at sea. Gorleston, 1195 males, and 1391 females. Southtown, 572 males, and 840 females. The number of houses in Yarmouth was 6328 ; and in Gorleston and Southtown, 948 houses - 6886 being inhabited.

Deaths: March 18th, Cufaude Davis, Esq., J.P., aged 56. - Oct. 23rd, Rev. J. Watson, D.D. - Lady Arabella Parker.

1852

Sir Edmund H. K. Lacon, Bart., and C.E Rumbold, Esq., returned to Parliament. They were opposed by Vice-Admiral Sir Chas. Napier, and W.T. McCullagh, Esq. Votes : L., 611; R., 547 ; M'C 521; N., 487.

R. Steward T. Brightwen, B. Fenn, J.G. Plummer, J Cherry and C.C. Aldred, Esqs., were appointed Magistrates.

Caister Castle sold by auction to John Gurney, Esq of Hoveton Hall, Norfolk.

Southtown Gas Works erected; enlarged in 1859. (See March 23rd, 1876).

Priory Schools opened, and built from a design by J. Flakewell, Esq. Cost, £1850. Library and Museum built in 1863.

Local Board of Health established, succeeding the Board of Paving Commissioners.

Feb. Gersham Davie, master of the Charity School, died.

1853

June 28th. - First pile of the Wellington Pier driven, and completed and opened in 1854. Construction cost £7000.

About 90 boats employed in the mackerel fishery, each carrying ten men, and 65 trawling smacks, belonging to the Port of Yarmouth. Sale of fish realised nearly £27,000.

A herring, 17.5in. long by 7.5in. in girth, and weighing 13 ozs., caught near Yarmouth. - In Nov., 1870, a mackerel was caught off Yarmouth, and presented to F. Buckland, Esq. It weighed 2lbs. 11oz., length 19 inches, and girth 10.25 inches.

Sept. Mr. Peter Coble, Mayor's officer, died.

1854

July 19th. First stone of the Independent Chapel, King-street, laid. Building opened in June 1855 ; cost £3700 including site.

184 licensed public-hiouses and 50 beer-shops in the town.

George John Milles, Lord Sondes, High Steward of the Borough.

Messrs. Gurneys' Bank erected.

1855

July 28th. First number of the Yarmouth Free Press published; enlarged January 19th. 1856; and name altered to Yarmouth Independent, June 27th, 1857.

Aug. 11th. Collision between the Dover and Calais mail steamer "Vivid" and the schooner "Henry," of Yarmouth, by which the latter was run down in Dover Roads.

Aug. 12th. Wesleyan Reform Chapel at Caister opened.

Aug. 20th. Affray with Militiamen. Several influential gentlemen sustained severe injuries.

August. Laing's Map of Yarmouth published. It took fifteen months to complete, and cost £600. (See March, 1856.)

Sept. 5th. Brig "Venilia" launched from Mr. Rust's yard.

Sept. 25th. Address voted by the Town Council to the Queen, on the fall of Sebastopol.

Sept. 30th. National Thanksgiving Day for the successful issue of the Crimean war.

Oct. 3rd. Three French gunboats came into the Harbor.

Oct. 6th. Russian schooner "Sampo " captured by H.M.S. "Tartar," and brought into our harbor.

Oct. 25th. Loss of the steamer "Isle of Thanet" off Yarmouth, and three lives.

Oct. 26th. Sir E.H.K. Lacon, Bart., entertained the East Norfolk Militia at Hopton.

Oct. The New Cemetery walled-in, and consecrated by Bishop Spencer July 16th, 1856. (See Sept. 7th, 1876).

Nov. 3rd. Two war-ships, "Phoenix" and Meander," anchored in the Roadstead.

Nov. 28th: Miss Fanny Kemble read Shakspeare's Julius Caesar at the Corn Hall.

Dec. 17th to 20th. Heavy gales; fifteen vessels driven ashore on the Beach.

Yarmouth Water Works Company completed laying the water-pipes throughout the town, and opened the works at Ormesby.

Deaths: Jan. 25th Rev. Lithgoe, minister of the Roman Catholic Church. - April 24th, Charles Day, Esq.

The Rev. C. Smyth, formerly a curate of St. Nicholas' Church, ascended to the summit of Monte Rosa and Monte Blanc. - The Yarmouth mackerel fishery realised a sum of £20,000, and 14,045 tons of fish of all kinds were sent from this town by rail. 20,248 barrels of herrings shipped at Yarmouth for foreign ports. - The Dene Well, Albion Road, covered up, and the ancient mode of drawing water replaced by a pump, which was ordered to be removed in Nov., 1876, on account of the impurity of the water

Yarmouth Elocution Society established.

1856

January 30th. The Norfolk Artillery Militia left by rail for the camp at Colshester.

March 19th. Sarah Hunnibell attempted to set fire to the Gaol.

March. J. Laing, Esq., appointed Town Surveyor of Hastings, a similar office to which he had held for several years in Yarmouth, and was succeeded by A.W. Morant Esq. (See Aug. 1875.)

April 16th. Steam-tug "Robert Owen" sunk at the Haven's mouth.

May 7th. Gable end of a house near the Beach blown down in a gale, snow and sleet falling at the time. Considerable damage done to the shipping in the Roadstead.

May 29th. Peace Celebration at the conclusion of the Russian war.

May. The Rev. J.H.H. McSwinney, minister 0f St. Peter's Church, presented with a silver salver before his departure for Cronstadt.

July 13th. Wesleyan Free Church, Regent Road, opened.

Sept. 24th. First general meeting of the directors of the Yarmouth and Haddiscoe Railway held at the Star Hotel.

Oct. 20th. Brigantine "Lizzie Lee " launched from. Mr. J. Powell's yard.

Oct. 23rd. Parallax lectured at the Corn Hall, and caused great excitement by his public discussions.

Nov. 25th. Very high tide and heavy gale.

Dec. Rev. W.D. Wade appointed to the incumbency of St. Mary's Church, Southtown.

Commander Kisbie, R.N., awarded by the National Lifeboat Institution a medal for saving 90 lives.

30,227 barrels of herrings shipped at Great Yarmouth for foreign parts.

Marine Parade commenced. (See March 7th, 1876).

Deaths : Aug. 10th. Henry Humphrey, in the 100th year of his age. - Aug. 21st. Captain Charles Pearson, aged 72.

1857

Jan. 8th. "Volunteer" steam-tug on fire in the Harbor.

Jan. 13th. Inauguration dinner of the Eastern Star Provident Association Friendly Society held at the Corn Hall. The society started with near 900 members in twelve branches established in Norfolk and Suffolk. The first chief officers elected were - Mr. Edward Howes, President; Mr. James Moughton, Vice-President; Mr. George Humphrey, Treasurer; and Mr. C.W. Harrison, Secretary.

Jan. Rorqual whale, 45 feet in length, and weighing about 20 tons, caught at Winterton, and exhibited on Wrestler's Plain.

Feb. 6th. Mr. J. B. Beales appointed Inspector 0f Weights and Measures, succeeded by Mr. E. D.

Louttid, who resigned the office in Jan. 1871 ; and on Feb. 27th, 1871, Mr. F. W. Robinson was appointed.. Feb. 20th. Man-of-war ship " Blenheim," 74 guns, anchored in the Roadstead.

Feb. 28th. The schooner "Branch " launched from Mr. Fellows' yard.

March 1st. The iron screw-collier "Isby " run ashore south of Caister.

March 28th. E. Watkin and W. Torrens McCullagh, Esqs., returned to Parliament for the Borough, by a majority of 158. Grand procession of the United Seamen's Association.

March. Mr George Tewsley appointed Superintendent of the Borough Police.

April. A fine sturgeon, a Royal fish, caught off Yarmouth.- A mammoth tusk picked up at sea, which measured 4ft. on tire bend and 2lin. in girth.

May 15th. Thackeray, the novelist, lectured in Yarmouth: Subject - "Georges III. and IV."

May 16th. Emily Major, dressed in male attire, attempted to escape from Gaol.

May 27th. Two Russian trophies on the Hall Quay were received at Yarmouth. The Mayor applied to Lord Panmure for them in June, 1856.

June 7th. Corner-stone of St. John's Church laid. This building, which cost £2,000, was opened Feb. 7th, 1858 ; and consecrated April 22nd, 1858. In 1859, the southern aisle was added as a memorial to the late Miss Maurice, and opened by Bishop Hills before his departure for British Columbia.

June 8th.- The Bill authorising the construction of the Britannia Pier read a third time and passed. This Pier was opened by a public company, July 13th, 1858, which has since dissolved.

Aug. 28th. Meeting of the British Archaeological Association at the Town Hall.

Aug. 29th. The House of Commons decided the election to Parliament of W.T. McCullagh and E. Watkin, Esqs., as invalid. A.W. Young and J. Mellor, Esqs., were returned to Parliament in their place; the next day a monster meeting, between 10,000 and 12,000 people, was held on the Quay. E. Watkin, Esq., was drawn in a carriage by men, by means of a rope attached to it, from the Railway Station round the town.

Sept. 15th. Two Prize Fights took place on the banks of the Yare, between Batson and Slack, and Stamp and Turner.

Sept 18th. Meeting at the Town Hall on the Indian Mutinies; £233 17s. subscribed in the room for the sufferers.

Sep. 24th. Organ at St. Peter's Church opened. It was built by Messrs. Bishop and Starr, at a cost of £400.

Sept. 30th. Day of National Fasting and Humiliation.

Oct. 14th. Dinner given to Sir E.H.K. Lacon, Bart., at the Town Hall.

Oct. 22nd. Loss of the (s.s.) "Ontario" and 24 of her crew, on the Barber Sand. A dreadful gale and great destruction to the shipping.

Oct. 29th. Demonstration of the Liberal party at the Town Hall.

Oct. Government Schools of Art and Navigation established, mainly through the exertions of the Rev. J. B. Bampton. - Exhibitions of Paintings, &c., held at these schools in 1860. These schools occupy part of a Mansion formerly the residence of the Paget family.

Nov. 17th. T. P. Burroughs, Esq., passed his examination for admission as Solicitor.

Dec. 4th. The steamship "Rapid" sunk; and in May, 1858, divers were employed to raise some of her stores.

1858

Jan. 11th. Testimonial, consisting of a splendid tea and coffee service, with an oval 24-inch waiter, weighing 203 ozs., presented to B. Fenn, Esq., by the Fishermen's Provident Society.

Feb. 11th. An Address voted by the Town Council to her Majesty on the marriage of H.R.H. the Princess Royal to H.R.H. Prince Frederick William of Prussia.

Feb. 11th. The Town Battery ordered to be removed. The materials were sold by auction on Nov. 30th, and realised £84 12s.

Feb. The Lord Chancellor appointed six (out of fifteen candidates) new Magistrates for the Borough, viz., P. Pullyn, D.A. Gourlay, F. Palmer, W. T. Clarke, J. Barker, and J. Owles, Esqs.

March 8th. The Fermanagh Light Infantry Militia (345 rank and file), commanded by Lord Enniskillen and the Hon. S. Crichton, arrived in Yarmouth.

March 14th. The "Frederica," 420 tons register and 600 ton burthen, launched from Mr. T. Branford's yard. Between 3,000 and 4,000 persons witnessed the sight.

April 15th. Collision between the (s.s.) "Ernestide" and the Prussian ship " Thomas " off Yarmouth. The former foundered.

April 22nd. St. John's Church consecrated, and in the same month the stone pulpit and the communion plate at this church were bought out of the proceeds of sale of the book " Story of Samuel Brock." The Church was opened Feb. 7th enlarged in 1859 and 1866, and again in 1868.

May 4th. Riot at Southtown between the Fermanagh Militia and some coalheavers.

May 19th. The brig "Nil Desperandum," 300 tons register and over 500 tons burthen, launched from Mr. J. Rust's yard. Thousands of persons witnessed the sight.

May 26th. The Corn Exchange, Regent Street sold to R. Steward, Esq., for £1540; and in 1870 was purchased by Government for the New Post and Telegraph Offices, &c.

June 10th. Sir E.N. Buxton, M.P., died at Cromer, aged 46 years.

June 15th. Congratulatory address voted by the Town Council to J. Paget, Esq., on his appointment as Surgeon-Extraordinary to her Majesty the Queen.

June 20th. Dawson Turner, Esq., M.A., F.S.A., F.R.S., &c., died at Brompton, aged 83 years. Few individuals have been more distinguished by literary honors, either foreign or domestic, than this gentleman. He was born October, 1775, at Yarmouth, where his father was a banker. He was educated at the Grammar School at North Walsham, and entered Pembroke College, Cambridge, in 1793. At his father's decease he became a partner in the firm of Messrs. Gurneys and Co., and managed the Yarmouth bank. He married the daughter of the late William Palgrave, Esq., of Coltishall. His library, comprising 40,000 volumes, was sold by auction on the 24th November, 1858, and his will was sworn under £70,000 personalty.

July 4th. Rev. William Tritton, of Cambridge preached his first sermon at the Independent Chapel.

July 13th. Britannia Pier opened. Dejeuner given in the afternoon on the Pier to the shareholders and their friends, 150 in number. The construction cost about £6,000.

July 16th. Grand Procession of the Freemasons to and from St. Nicholas' Church to the Town Hall, where about 125 gentlemen sat down to an excellent dinner.

July 20th. Nottingham Order of Oddfellows opened a new Court in Middlegate-street, and next day was publicly commemorated by a procession through the town, headed by Hulley's Saxhorn Band.

July. Fifty-seven invalids, mostly Indian sufferers, arrived at the Military Hospital on the South Denes from Chatham.

Aug. 26th. The Norfolk Hotel, South Beach, sold by auction to Messrs. Hills & Underwood for

£2,160.

Aug. 30th. G. Wells Holt, Esq., Magistrates' Clerk, tendered his resignation to the Magistrates. He ably filled the office for over twenty-two years. His son William succeeded to the office, to whom a dinner was given at the Crown and Anchor on October 4th.

Sept. 2nd. Riot in Charlotte Street and Broad Row with the Fermanagh Militia. Tradesmen obliged to close their shops.

Sept. 4th. Royal yacht " Grille," belonging to the King of Prussia, arrived in the Harbor, under the command of Captain Baron Bothwell. She was 400 tons burthen, and her engines, 160 nominal horse-power, could be worked up to 800. Built of mahogany throughout, by Norman of Havre, at a cost of £40,000.

Sept. 8th. Two Prussian frigates, " Thetis " and Gefion," under the command of the High Admiral Prince Adalbert, arrived in the Roadstead.

Sept. 23rd. The Louth Rifles, under the command of Sir John Robinson, and comprising 500 men arid 21 officers, arrived in Yarmouth.

Oct. 1st. Evening Service first held at St. George's Chapel after the gas was laid on. The Rev. G. Hills officiated.

Oct. 6th. An elegant Church Service, bound in Turkey morocco, presented to the Rev. Robert Boyle, L.L.D., by the inhabitants of Gorleston, as a farewell token in recognition of their esteem for him after two years labor amongst them.

Nov. 15th. The (s.s.) "Hunwick" sunk off the Jetty. Ship and cargo valued at £8500. The crew saved.

Nov. The Rev. G. Hills, B.D., resigned the incumbency of St. Nicholas' Church, on his appointment to the Bishopric of British Columbia. The degree of Doctor of Divinity was conferred by diploma at a convocation at Durham on the 30th.

Nov. Mr. G. Dowey appointed Station Master.

Dec. 13th. The Rev. W. D. Wade, B.A., incumbent of St. Mary's Church, Southtown, presented by his friends with a purse of sixty guineas.

Dec. 23rd. S.C. Burton, Esq., solicitor, sworn as a Commissioner to Administer Oaths in the High Court of Chancery of England.

Dec. Rev. H.R. Nevill, incumbent of St. Mark's Church, Lakenham, near Norwich, appointed to the incumbency of Yarmouth; and the Rev. G. I Pellew, curate of St. Nicholas' Church, appointed to fill the vacancy at Lakenham.

Dec. Mr. J. M. Petts late chief-officer at the Coast Guard Station at Gillingham, Chathain, promoted by the Admiralty to be chief-officer of the Yarmouth Coastguards. In March, 1866, he was presented with a gold watch and guard (value £65) and a silver cup (value £35), subscribed for by 121 gentlemen of the town, and presented at the Town Hall by the Mayor (C.C. Aldred, Esq.), in recognition of many acts of bravery in saving ship-wrecked crews. He resigned the office on Oct. 1st, 1870. From Oct. 5th, 1859, to Feb. 14th, 1870, no less than 40 vessels were wrecked on the beach and off the coast, from which Mr. Petts, in conjunction with those under his command, was instrumental in rescuing 295 lives. Joined the service June 22nd, 1827.

Deaths: Jan. 17th, Rev. J. Pike, the much-esteemed minister of the Independent Chapel, Gorleston, died directly after leaving the pulpit, where he officiated in the service.- March 4th, Sir Eton S. Travers, aged 69 years.- March 15th, Mr. S. V. Moore, a respected member of the Town Council.

1859

Jam 1st. Sailors' Home established. Its completion on Feb. 2nd was celebrated by a tea given to a large party of beachmen and their wives at the Norfolk Hotel. The Home cost about £2,000.

Jan. 12th. Mr. James Buddrell, master of the fishing vessel "Hosannah," presented with a first-class silver medal and diploma from the Emperor of the French for saving the lives of eleven men, the crew of the French brig "La Prospere," off Hasbro'.

Jan. 12th. The Queen constituted the Colonies of British Columbia and Vancouver's Island to be a Bishop's See, and appointed the Rev. Geo. Hills, D.D., to be ordained and consecrated Bishop of it. This ceremony was performed at Westminster Abbey by the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Bishops of Norwich and Oxford, on Feb. 24th. In Jan. Dr. Hills was presented with a handsome communion service by the members of his congregation, and on the 26th of May was presented at the Town Hall with a testimonial, value £400, as a token of esteem. He reached his new diocese in March, 1860, but returned again upon a visit in 1863.

Jan 17th. The Rev. H. Hitcham died, aged 40 years.

Jan. 19th. The sloop " Eliza" launched from Mr. J. Rust's yard.

Feb. 10th. An Address voted by the Town Council to her Majesty on the birth of a grandson, heir to the Throne of Prussia.

Feb. 17th. Cuthbert Collingwood Hall, Esq., of Beach House, on the Marine Parade, died at his seat, Collingwood Court, near Windsor. Mr. Hall was one of the earliest advocates of our Marine Parade, and gave £50 towards its construction. He married the grand-daughter and co-heiress of the celebrated Admiral Cuthbert Lord Collingwood, who commanded at Trafalgar after Lord Nelson received his death wound.

Feb. 20th. The "reading-in " ceremony and first sermon preached by the Rev. H.R..Nevill at St. Nicholas' Church. The text chosen was i Cor., ii, 1 and 2 verses.

Feb. Portrait of Lord Sonde's, High Steward of the Borough, placed in the Town Hall.

March 17th. St. Patrick's Day was ushered in at break of day by the band of the Louth Rifles playing through our streets the Irish air dedicated to the patron saint.

March 21st. East Suffolk Railway Bill read a third time in the House of Commons and passed. The line was opened on the 2nd of June.

April 5th. E.W. Watkin and A.W. Young, Esqs., addressed a large meeting of between 2000 and 3000 persons on the Hall Quay; and again on the 15th.

April 13th to 16th. Charles Stratton, commonly known as "General Tom Thumb," with a company, gave an entertainment at the Theatre.

April 19th. The "Athelstan" launched from Messrs. Fellows' yard. This fine vessel was commanded by Captain John Bracey, of Yarmouth.

April 29th. Sir E.H.K. Lacon, Bart., and Sir Henry J. Stracey, Bart., returned to Parliament. Votes - L., 693; S., 653 ; Watkin, 568 ; Young, 537.

May 12th. Cardinal Wiseman, accompanied by Lord Stafford and a party of friends, paid a visit to Yarmouth.

May 26th. The house of Mr. Bradnum, at Gorleston, struck by lightning, the fluid knocking a chimney-pot through the roof, smashing the windows and frames, and doing other damage.

May 27th. First meeting, called by the Mayor at the Town Hall, respecting the enrolment of Rifle Volunteers at Yarmouth.

June 7th. Miss Ann Turner, daughter of the late Dawson Turner, Esq., presented the Town Council with seventeen rolls, &c., relative to the history of' Yarmouth.

July 11th. Eighty invalids, mostly Indian sufferers,. arrived at the Military Hospital on the South Denes from Chatham.

July. The schooner "Alma" brought to Yarmouth nine 68 and one 54-pounder guns from Woolwich for the North and newly-restored South Batteries. The Royal Artillery finished mounting them on the 24th of August, and returned to Woolwich the next day. There are now six guns mounted on each battery, namely, three 82, 'two 68, and one long 24-pounders, coma of them weighing as much as five tons.

July. F. Dowson and F. Worship, Esqs., appointed Deputy-Lieutenants of the County.

Aug. 12th. The fine vessel " Himalaya," 375 ft. in length, with her saloon of 100 ft., brought a portion of the Donegal Militia to Yarmouth, who were landed by the stea-tug "Robert Owen " at the Barrack Wharf ; and on the 14th the vessel left, having previously embarked the Louth Rifles for Preston.

Sept. 1st. Appointment of officers for the Rifle Volunteers, and the services of the men accepted by Government.

Sept. 7th. Rev.W. Griffiths, M.A., minister of the Congregational body, ordained at the King-street Chapel.

Sept. 12th. Fire at Mr. S. Ives' premises, in Howard-street; estimated damage, £150. Another fire originated at the same place on June 5th, 1867, doing damage to the amount of £600.

Sept. 26th. C.P. Molly, Esq., of Liverpool, contributed a Mural Drinking Fountain for the Borough. R. Steward, Esq., contributed one in November.

Sept. 28th. Services of the Artillery Volunteer Corps accepted by Government, and the appointment of officers confirmed.

Sept. Water supplied by the Yarmouth Wator Works Company to the inhabitants of Southtown.

Oct. 8th. Riot in King-street with four of the Donegal Militia, one of which when in custody at the Police Station attempted to set fire to his cell, and a melee took place before it could be extinguished.

Oct. 25th. Violent gale, fourteen lives lost off this coast, and thirty shipwrecked seamen lodged at the Sailors' Home. A sloop driven through the Britannia Pier and severed it in two.

Nov. 30th. First stone of St. Andrew's Church laid. Contract for building was £1,050 10s. This church was consecrated by the Bishop of Norwich on Oct. 9th, 1860, and celebrated by a public luncheon at the Town Hall. In March, 1864, a school-room was built adjoining the church, which cost £500 more.

Dec. 16th. The Norfolk Standard, published by Mr. J. Cooper, was discontinued. The same publisher printed the Yarmouth Weekly News and the Yarmouth Standard previously.

Dec. 20th. Rev. F.W. Johnson, who was appointed in January, 1858, minister of St. John's Church, died in London. By will he bequeathed £3,000 to endow the Beach and Harbor Mission.

Dec. 27th. Jacob Astley, Baron Hastings, and a baronet of England, died at his town residence, aged 62 years. He was born on Nov. 13th, 1797, and was the eldest son of Sir Jacob Henry Astley. The late lord married on March 22nd, 1819, Georgiana Caroline, youngest daughter of Sir Henry W. Dashwood, Bart., and sister of the late Marchioness of Ely. (See Dee. 24th, 1875.)

Francis Worship, E. P. Youell, and J. Clark, Esqs., appointed as Magistrates.- Bastard shark caught off Yarmouth.- Penny Bank opened.- 32,.799 barrels of herrings shipped at Yarmouth for foreign ports.

New Lifeboat-house erected by the National Association at a cost of £400.

1860

Jan. 3rd. Three cases of wine, eight of spirits, and five of oil, and a cask of vinegar, landed here, having been picked up by the smack "Chance."

Jan. 4th. Schooner "Hero," of and for Yarmouth, went ashore on Palling Beach and became a total wreck. Sold for £9.

Jan. 20th. The people in Southtown alarmed by the report of a "Spring-heel'd Jack " in the locality for some days previous. The supposed fiend, who assaulted one of the employes on the East Suffolk railway, and left him insensible on the ground, was said to be a man clad in a white tight-skin dress, and goat's horns fixed to his head

 

C3
Goto Menu

 

East Anglia Net Ink editor@ean.co.uk

Best viewed with

IE

Copyright © East Anglia Network Ltd, 1998