Ames Capt

Following the example of his gallant commander, Capt. Ames asserted. that "state affairs were not his provence, and. that it was his business to do his duty to his country, whatever irregularities there might be in the counsels at home." He commanded. the ship which brought Charles II. to England., and which was thence-forth called the Happy Return. He descended from Lancolot Ames of Norwich. whose son, John, died in 1647, aged 70, the latter being the father of Capt. Ames, instead of John Ames, an officer in the Trained Bands, as mentioned in vol. ii., p.p. 118, 401, the latter being probably the captain's elder brother.

See a letter from Ames the antiquary to Blomfield. the historian, published in the appendix to the Foundacion and Antiquitye of Greate Yermouthe, p. 120. His daughter, Mary, married Capt. Edward Dampier, Deputy-Surveyor of Shipping to the Honorable East India Company. The name of Ames was and is to be found in many of the villages of Norfolk. In a chapel on the south side of Barton Church is a quaint epitaph to the memory of Thomas Amys, commencing. with -

"Here are laid under this stone,- in clay,

"Thomas Amys - and his wife Margery."

Sometimes," observes the antiquary, "they spelt the sir-name Amyas," but bore the same arms. Dr. William Ames, a puritan Calvinistic divine, born in 1576, graduated at Camibridge, and. being turned out of his fellowship retired to Holland and became a professor at Rotterdam, where he died in 1688. His sister, Elizabeth, married the Rev. John Phillips of Wrentham, mentioned vol. ii., p. 86. Dr. Ames married Joan Burgess, daughter of the chaplain to the English troops at the Hague. She and her children went to New England, but returned. with her son, William Ames, who became a minister at Wrentham, was ejected in 1662, and died there in 1682. An old family of Ames has for many generations been seated in Somersetshire, and there isstrong presumptive evidence of a connection between them and those of the same name in Norfolk; but the former bear arg., on a bend cottised sa., three roses of the field; and for a crest, a rose arg., stalked and leafed, vert. Ex.iinf. Rleginald Ames, Esq., of Cote House, Westbury-on- Wyn.(P. viii. p.22)

C3
Goto Menu

 

East Anglia Net Ink editor@ean.co.uk

Best viewed with

IE

Copyright © East Anglia Network Ltd, 1998