Bosses

 Holy_Trinity_bannerdouble_headed_eagle_bannerSt Nicholas Church (P. vii. P56) - These bosses display an exceedingly interesting series of armorial bearings, commencing with the shield of Edward III., and followed by those of his sons, the Black Prince, and the Dukes of Lancaster, York, and Gloucester, and by those of many Norfolk Knights distinguished in the wars of the 14th century. They are preceded by the well-known banner of the Holy Trinity, followed by the double-headed eagle displayed as symbolical of the church. Other bosses contain representations of the beatitudes, the heavenly choir, the deadly sins, &c

Holy_Trinity_bannerThe annexed lithograph of one of these bosses, from a drawing by Mrs. Bowyor Vaux, represents Wisdom calmnly contemplative, although surrounded by evil. (See a further account in P.C., p.140, where there are plates of twenty-four of these bosses.)

On removing the lead from the former roof, the outlines of numerous feet were found traced upon it, with dates extending back to the last century. This was a practice not confined to "rude and ignorant people," for Sir Simonds D'Ewes, of Stowlangtoft, Suffolk, informs us in his journal, that when on his wedding tour, in 1627, and being at the top of King's College Chapel, Oxford, his wife's foot, which was "one of the least in England, her age and stature considered," was "sett," and her arms "exculped within the compasse of the foote in a small escocheon;" and Stowe, in his Chronicle, states that the King of Denmark, when, in 1606, he ascended Westminster abbey, "held his foote still whilst the keeper of the staple with his knife cut the length and breadth thereof in lead." See East Anglian, vol. iv. 192.)

C3
Goto Menu

 

East Anglia Net Ink editor@ean.co.uk

Best viewed with

IE

Copyright © East Anglia Network Ltd, 1998