In 1860 Mr. Morant excavated the ground to the west of St Nicholas Church, and discovered the foundations of the "new work," whichseemed to prove an intention of creating a very fine west front, having two lofty and massive towers, the walls of which were eight feet in thickness, and between them a magnificent central doorway, forty feet wide. Stone posts were then put down to mark its boundaries.
When the S.W. pinnacle was rebuilt in 1870, the foundations of the "new work" were laid bare; embedded in the original early English pinnacle, the jamb of an archway, with rich perpendicular mouldings, was discovered, facing eastward, leading to a belief that an enriched doorway was contemplated. In the annexed ground plan, the dimensions of the "new work" have been traced.