Also known as the Great Gate. When the deputy-lieutenants advised on the defence of the town in 1625, they considered the East Tower of this gateway to be a very convenient place upon which to plant a "murdering piece." In later times a telegraph was erected on the West Tower.
The ceremony of shutting this gate every night was continued down to the 18thcentury, for in 1724 an order was made "to pay Goody Ely 35s. a year for cleansing, opening, and shutting the South Gate."
Engraving of South Gate